Text on Dashboard tile under program control

The webcore device types are more of a suggestion than anything else. Add the device to the actuator group in webcore.

Hi can you take a look at this I am getting no text on the dashboard

Sent you a private message.

similiar to my alarm dashboard except for your last tile. will have to look into how you did that.

It's a custom device handler called Virtual Attributes Set that is linked above. You can write into the variables in a device created with it and display them in a tile of type "attributes".

@vmsman Sent you a private message

If it’s useful in my MQTT app I include a virtual text driver including separate prefix and suffix settable text that will display on the dashboard. Supports html . I’ll post a link here to the updated (simplified) github release tomorrow. Doesn’t require MQTT.

Kevin, that would be awesome.

I'm not at home but here's a link to the in progress (beta 3e) version - not sure if it will do what you want. I haven't read this whole topic.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xAPPO/MQTT/beta3/MQTT%20Text%20beta%203e%20(test)

commands

setText (string) - includes any prefix and suffix
forceText(string) - ignores prefix and suffix
setSuffix(string)
setPrefix(string)
setBattery(integer)

string values can be html tags, so could create say a 3 line display on tile using <br>
also includes a virtual battery % capability

Display on dashboard using an attribute template and the 'text' attribute (could use prefix, suffix or battery if wanted)

1 Like

Hi Robert,
I have been following this subject with great interest. I have it working with a virtual omnisensor device. The only problem I have is a cannot seem to put html code for new line
in my text as Hubitat strips it out. Any suggestions on getting around this?

I know in app inputs, text from the user will get "sanitized" to remove HTML. I'm not sure if the same happens when manually putting in text/string values for commands on a device page (I'd guess not). To do what you want from an app/automation, I'm guessing you'd need either a custom app or a driver that will take legal characters in its own markup language and convert them to HTML. I'm not sure if anyone has developed one or found another workaround, but I think this would at least be the explanation for the issue you see.

1 Like

Thanks, I'll watch for another solution.

Seems like I opened a real can of worms from my first post. In regards to HTML formatting, I've done the simplest case where I have placed a HTML line break into output variables displayed into a dashboard for aesthetics. I am doing this with Webcore.

Here's the code.

Sadly, you can't see the line break formatting because they are suppressed looking at the display.

1 Like

Thanks for that - I'm not a webcore user at this time. I do use Tile Master and perhaps that will let me accomplish my goal. Thanks again.

You're right ..

1 Like

Evening. This has allowed me to design some pretty cool info on my sharptools dash. Much appreciated. As explained via pm, I've installed so much stuff since I switched to hubitat back in july that I've kind of lost track of some of the initial bits and bobs.

So this is a late 'thank you!'.

Is there a way of adding a carriage return to the variables? Wondered if there might be some kind of standard html code etc?

Again, many thanks!

@nh.schottfam

You might try set the variable with a < br > at the end

foo

Not sure if it will work..but easy to try

< br/ > (remove the spaces...)

For the SharpTools Hero Attribute tile, it needs to be a standard text newline character (not HTML).

Edit: How are you setting the values for these virtual devices? IIRC, the device page doesn't allow entering multiple lines.

\n then?