Text on Dashboard tile under program control

Thanks for that - I'm not a webcore user at this time. I do use Tile Master and perhaps that will let me accomplish my goal. Thanks again.

You're right ..

1 Like

Evening. This has allowed me to design some pretty cool info on my sharptools dash. Much appreciated. As explained via pm, I've installed so much stuff since I switched to hubitat back in july that I've kind of lost track of some of the initial bits and bobs.

So this is a late 'thank you!'.

Is there a way of adding a carriage return to the variables? Wondered if there might be some kind of standard html code etc?

Again, many thanks!

@nh.schottfam

You might try set the variable with a < br > at the end

foo

Not sure if it will work..but easy to try

< br/ > (remove the spaces...)

For the SharpTools Hero Attribute tile, it needs to be a standard text newline character (not HTML).

Edit: How are you setting the values for these virtual devices? IIRC, the device page doesn't allow entering multiple lines.

\n then?

The rendered equivalent of that, yes. What you would normally get when pressing Enter / Return on your keyboard.

First Line
Second Line

I edited my post above. The standard device page doesn't allow entering a new line. I've seen people doing it with custom drivers for aggregation purposes and I think through WebCoRE. I don't personally use Rule Machine, but I'm testing now to see if it can be done there.

Yeah, Rule Machine supports it. For example I just setup a simple rule that when I pressed a button, it issued the 'notify' command to a custom Virtual Values driver and you can enter multiple lines for the value (just pressing Enter for a new line).

Then in your SharpTools Hero Attribute tile, make sure to set the 'Text Overflow' to 'Wrap'.

And the multi-line content should show as expected:

SmartSelect_20210208-210053_Fully Kiosk Browser

1 Like

That's a good solution! :+1:

Ah, we cross posted.

I don't use RM, it's all webcore for me. Thanks all, I'll investigate a bit more when I'm back at the desktop. =)

1 Like

@djh_wolf I am a Webcore user myself in Hubitat and I was in SmartThings also. I have 20 RM rules and 38 WebCORE Pistons. In my opinion, RM is easier to use for simple things and also if your brain thinks more non-procedurally. WebCORE I use for situations where I need more processing and procedural code that might have multiple branches, cases and even string manipulation. I initially found RM to be rather non-intuitive, but I am an IT guy by trade. I can definitely see advantages to user RM in certain situations.

I do some of the same with Webcore pistons setting the value of some variables that get displayed in a dashboard.

@vmsman

Thanks for the replies.

I'm hoping not to appear pig-headed, but my queries were part of a more complex (?) set of events. Although I'm not keen at all on adding RM to the mix anyway, the existing reliance on webcore to update this dash would make it more work than needed, with various duplications.

Webcore remains my goto solution in general, but for this, for me, unfortunately it's kind of a necessity. =(

I'm currently very happy with sharptools, as I really don't like the look of most of the dashboards people post in the relevant threads.

I'm wondering if it might be possible for sharptools to allow multiple attributes?

@josh

There's a request to add a Tertiary attribute to a Hero Attribute tile here that you might want to cast a vote on - or feel free to create your own feature request over in the SharpTools community. :slight_smile:

Perhaps you could share a bit more details on what you are trying to accomplish? It looks like there are two attributes displayed in your example tile screenshots, but it sounds like perhaps you want to break things up even further to display things differently somehow - for example Var1 that has '6*C - IDLE'?

Success!

Turns out webcore works just great by hitting 'return' too.

Cheers all! Simple solutions eh? =)

SmartSelect_20210208-222433_Fully Kiosk Browser

FYI I'm just designing my security dash to include at-a-glance info on time since motion, time since contact change etc.

I use webcore to accomplish the same. I use a < B R > for my CR/LF newlines which don't show in the code.
piston

Im using the setvar to set a tile in dashboard and filling in the info from webcore
The problem is that the tile is NOT updating

For example, I knew the mailbox was full as Alexa told me it was however the tile said empty
and the timestamps were old.
I went to a different dasdboard panel and back and it was updated....
Am I the only one seeing this behavior? is there a solution? Thanks
Tim

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.