Testing - Cloud Backup - Restore

Greetings,

I just subscribed to "Hub Protect."

Previously all of my Hub backups have been Local (protect database - only).

In lieu of waiting until there is an issue to discover if and how a cloud restoration of a hub works.

Is there a recommended/safe way to test a "Full Cloud Restore of both Database & Radio Info."

I have successfully tested a Hub cloud database restore but I would like it to take it to the next level and do a full restore test without unduly comprising a Hub that is functional.

I do have on hand backup C-7s as well as a C-8.

Suggestions as to possible course/s of action much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

I can think of 2 approaches:

1. Perform a soft reset the backed-up hub and restore the backup to it. This does put the hub at risk if there were to be an issue. It is however something that I have done often without issues.

2. Soft reset the back-up C-7 and/or C-8 to restore the cloud backup to them, replacing the original hubs that would have had their radios turned off and that would have first been shut down. This would confirm that the restore works for sure, but may require re-adjusting the hub’s IP address reservations.

My personal preference has been to trust that it works, but as I said previously, I have done multiple backups and restores already, especially when upgrading hubs, but also when I encountered a Z-Wave issue a while back. I have not encountered any issues with the process.

Thank You. This gives me some direction and positive reinforcement.

I have long been of the "trust it to work" camp. (Knowing it may not work and semi-prepared/accepting of that possibility.) This approach/philosophy works well when there is no one impacted other than one's self. I am trying to think outside of the box/me and wishing to provide/insure/"test" a possible path forward for when I leave the building.

1 Like