Tesla Connect 3: status works, commands don't

Hey folks,

Is the Tesla Connect integration supposed to be able to control the vehicle to some extent as well as read various state? The latter is working perfectly for me, the former has never worked so I kinda ignored it but now I have a use case. So my first question is:

1. is it designed to control the car (the methods/events it exposes would indicate so)
  2. if it is, any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Read-only status works just fine.

Thx!

I use the integration for both of our cars and it works well for both status and control. The neatest thing I did with it is to monitor the electric rates (we’re on an hourly plan) and when they go negative as they sometimes do, I start both cars charging. In effect ComEd pays me to charge the cars when this happens.

Hard to say why yours isn’t working without more information.

Thx!

So you're able to, for example, open the trunk and the vehicles respond near-instantaneously?

If there's additional information that would enable you to help me, please feel free to ask. The debug logs have thus far revealed nothing of interest.

I stand corrected: I thought I'd enabled Debug Logging on the integration but went and double-checked, apparently it didn't stick.

Now the logs reveal this:

app:5582023-12-19 03:20:15.405 PMerrorRequest failed for path: /api/1/vehicles/3744607830571956/command/door_unlock. [error:Tesla Vehicle Command Protocol required, please refer to the documentation here: https://developer.tesla.com/docs/fleet-api#2023-10-09-rest-api-vehicle-commands-endpoint-deprecation-warning, error_description:, response:null]

... the car is 2-months old; built 2 months prior to that.

I read the docs linked in the error but nothing pops there. Perhaps I missed a step in token generation but, as I said, everything read-only is peachy.

I can send commands to my vehicle like open trunk, enable Sentry mode, etc. and it works. However, it seems like there have been changes made by Tesla that stop it from working on newer cars.

See:

1 Like

Tesla pulled the API used by Tesla Connect 3.0. They evidently intend to monetize the API.

4 Likes

Thaks to both of you for confirming.

Tesla == nickel & dime tactics. Sigh. :frowning:

Someone’s gotta pay the interest on those bank loans made to Twitter X…

3 Likes