Temperature sensor recommendations

I've looked through the forum, but haven't really found any up to date answers to my questions. Those of you using a temperature sensor to control issues with freezing temperatures, what Z wave sensors do you recommend? What do you use to calibrate them to input the correct offset, if necessary? Do you find most are pretty linear, for example if you calibrate them at room temperature, do they stay accurate at freezing temperatures or below? Looking to protect my well house and shop by turning on heaters if the temperature falls below freezing. Thanks in advance for any input.

I can't tell you about linearity for the different sensors out there. I usually "calibrate" mine at a single point.
For your usage I would determine the offset near freezing. If you have a kitchen thermometer, put it in an ice bath (crushed ice and water) this will be pretty close to 0°C.
Then put this thermometer and your Hubitat sensor in a cardboard box and let it sit for an hour or so. Then see how the correlate.

I have a number of Aqara and Zooz temperature / humidity sensors. Both seem to be reasonably accurate and reliable.

2 Likes

For long range-ish temp sensors that integrate with Hubitat, have a look at Ecowitt.

5 Likes

Search ebay for 'Centralite 3156105'

It's a basic zigbee thermostat. Accurate sensors and uses 4 AA batteries that will last forever. I use one in my shop and another in my garage to control my forced air heaters, but could just as easily use Rule Machine and some smart plugs to control a space heater.

EDIT: just saw that you specifically asked for zwave... sorry if my zigbee recommendation is a non-starter.

1 Like

I tried several different Z-wave temp sensors and except for the AC-powered Homeseer devices, was unhappy with all. I started using Ecowitt temp sensors after I installed one of their weather stations (which includes a hub) and couldn't be happier. @sburke781 has a great driver for Ecowitt. Suggest you take a look @Mustang .

3 Likes

+1 for Ecowitt. It's relatively inexpensive, even including the base station. I've had a temp sensor in my freezer for 6 months and it still shows 100% battery. The freezer is in the garage all the way across the house from the base station. It's been rock steady.

4 Likes

I just recently installed a Fibaro Smart Implant to monitor three point on a tank.
It's Z-Wave and uses one-wire ds18b20 sensors.
It's powered by a 12vdc wall wart, so you'd need 120vac.
It's been working great so far.
I'm not sure if the ds18b20 sensors are inherently accurate, but they are digital, so you'd think it wouldn't lose anything 'in translation' from sensor to Implant.

1 Like

Ranchitat Madcodger jabecker Thanks for the ecowitt recommendation, but I can't seem to find any that are Z Wave

velvetfoot The Fibaro Implant looks pretty cool and has a built in temp sensor. Might try that one. Thanks

It's pretty tiny. I haven't tested the range.
The built in temp sensor is useless for your purpose-it measure the internal temp, so it's always high because of electrical usage.

2 Likes

Ecowitt sensors don’t use z-wave. They run on their own RF protocol and there is a WiFi bridge device that can send sensor data to Hubitat over the LAN.

4 Likes

@Mustang , @marktheknife is spot on. We're suggesting a different route. I have yet to find a battery-powered z-wave temp sensor that can hold a candle to these non z-wave ecowitt devices. With Hubitat, though, you may not need z-wave as the HE can make use of ecowitt via the @sburke781 driver and then work with z-wave devices. Just a thought...

3 Likes

There's probably power out in the pump house and workshop, so maybe battery powered is not a big factor.

If you're into weather in the least, and who isn't, going the ecowitt route could be cool, and provide more hours of amusement. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just hours ....? :wink:

3 Likes

That is an understatement. Ecowitt as a verrrry deep rabbit hole. even my wife has fallen in it now. She has started asking if they have various sensors. When I started with Ecowitt, I suggested an Air Quality sensor, she shot that down. Last month out of the clear blue sky she asks about putting one in. You know it's got to be good when the wife asks you to spend money on it.

To the OP, I would highly suggest Ecowitt...

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.