Temperature & Humidity Sensor: Recommendation Help Please

Not sure if you meant refrigeration literally or not, but be aware of the batteries used if you are going to be using them in a cold environment.

I have some older Z-Wave temperature sensors in my refrigerator and freezer, and I seem to average about a year with their CR123A batteries.

I trialed a Zigbee sensor with the CR2450 battery, and while I nixed it for other reasons, the battery life seemed to not be as robust, just going by the battery level reported. (Which, as we know, may not always be accurate.)

TL;DR: Try to get the largest battery capacity that you can if these are going to be in a colder environment.

Sorry, let me clarify and I'll update my original post. What I meant by this is that the hardware itself is reliable and accurate. These humidity and temperature sensors have been a real mixed bag for me based on my research inside and outside this forum.

Encouraged to see the feedback and discussion that has been generated by this topic so far. Some of these device never came up in my research. Thank you.

1 Like

What range of temperature and humidity are you looking at? A lot of basic sensors have acceptable accuracy within "normal" ranges of human comfort, but I wouldn't rely on them at the extremes without some sort of validation.

There is also the "salt bath" calibration technique of you're in the normal range of humidity. I have two of the Sonoff sensors that calibrated well and have been reliable for probably a year or more.

I use the Nyce (3043) sensors in all three bathrooms. Good battery life from AAA batteries.

2 Likes

The Aqara sensors are on sale at Amazon.

Just to note that these require known-compatible Zigbee repeaters to stay connected (at least on all hubs before the C-8). I have 2 (and use Ikea outlets as repeaters) and they do work nicely.

@salieri, If you are looking for a standalone sensor with a display that also reports to the hub, I have one of these Thirdreality Zigbee temp & hum sensors with an LCD display. It uses 2 AA batteries and I hope that promises a long battery life.

https://www.amazon.com/THIRDREALITY-Temperature-Monitoring-Automation-Batteries/dp/B0BF9W3WMK/

I compared it to several other sensors I have and it gave similar readings, including the Aqara mentioned above -- you can see it in the pictures in my review:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1L1409N2DAUFI/

They have been in service since 05/22 with the supplied coin cell battery.

Here is a screen grab showing the battery is still at 100%

There are many reliable temperature / humidity sensors for Hubitat. I've not found a mainstream (or any) Hubitat compatible device that has a display.
I suggest you get any of the numerous Temp/humidity devices and get a separate T/H display.

There are two in this thread:

@kkossev has also put together a listing of the Tuya based ones that his driver works for:

1 Like

They link up real good, first try. Just put the hub in Zigbee pairing mode and insert the batteries.
Use the Generic Temp & Humidity driver.

1 Like

I wish there was something similar but that displayed outdoor temperature.
Sort of like z-wave/zigbee version of this, of which we have two.
I'm not exactly sure why though. :slight_smile:

I have one of the temp sensors in my garage inside a freezer and it's been rock solid. It's been out there for 5 months and the battery still reads 100% (for what that's worth). I take it out now and again, just to make sure my rule that checks for freezer temp too high still works, and it always does. The gateway, BTW, is in my back bedroom across the house from the freezer.

2 Likes

My Sinope thermostat. Shows ambient floor temp, ambient air temp, and reads the temp from my zooz 4-in-1 on the front porch

1 Like

Welp...here we go with some testing.

i have tried most of those and the batteries dont last especially in harsh environs like a wine fridge or freezer.. consensus the coin cells are crap for that.. my older 2 aa sensors zwave non plus are still working great but no longer avail.. i just ordered some of these to test becuase they also have 2aa ..

ie..
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804908078441.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.46011802BY4a20&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

You'll have to post how well those work.

I'm mainly going for semi-accuracy. My use case is to have these tossed into 3D printer filament containers to alert me when the desiccant needs to be changed. My only real criteria was <$20 cost.

most have drivers where you can put in a variance or reference temp.. i use my forehead therm in surface mode to get a reading and calibrate my sensors when close the the temp range i want to measure.. of course any put in the sun etc will be off.

Just noticed the ones are ordered seem rather large.. probably to big for the wine fridge bummer didnt look close enough.. the coin cell with a display last a month at most.

so far the most reliable and that last the longest are not zwave and zigbee but the ecowitt as mentioned. plus they ecowitt website has nice graphs lol.

I have several of the ZSE44s going on 9 months on the same batteries in bathrooms. Only problem I've had is the battery reporting is absolutely trash. Most of them have been at 1% for a few months now.

1 Like

i find the nyce as mentioned are the fastest and pretty good battery life and that is what i use in the bathrooms to turn on the hue light dim purple when going in at night.

also since they are producing regular temp reports i use the "device activity check" to tell me if they dont report in for 12 hours so i know the battery has gone fubar..

I just installed the ThirdReality sensor.
I like the way it looks and it seems to be working well in my basement.
For laughts, I think I'm going to put it in my fridge's freezer, in a plastic bag like the Hue motion I have in there. That puppy has been going on forever.
This 3R sensor also uses 2 AAA's like the Hue.

3 Likes