Temp probe to turn solar box pump on

Here's what I want to do...

I have a solar heater for my pool. Literally it's a box on legs with the inside painted black and 400' of black hose inside, sealed with glass. I have a pump in the pool that pushes the water into the box and out the other end, and that helps to heat my pool.

Currently I have the pump hooked up to an outdoor TP-Link plug that I manually turn on/off. I'd like to automate this.

Ideally, I would like to install a wireless temp probe in the hot box. Then I would like to set up a rule that between morning and evening (no sense in checking when the sun isn't around), it would check the temp probe and run the solar pump for, let's say... 30 minutes before checking the probe again to see if the box is still hot enough to do any good. Or something along those lines.

What I'm looking for now is a temp sensor. I would like for it to be zwave or wifi... whatever works with Hubitat, and I would like for it to be battery powered. I could run power to the box but if I don't have to that would be nice.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi,

A suggestion would be to use the Waterproof DS18B20 sensor (sometimes called 1-wire). They are availiable in many places, eBay maybe Amazon etc.

The above is just the sensor (that can be in the water).

To read the sensor and send the data to Hubitat there are two options I am aware of. One is battery the other requires external power.

If you choose the battery device, investigate how often the device reports the temperature. In general battery devices cannot be "asked" .... what is your temperature. Usually there is a setting to report if the temperature has changed xx degrees. Verify this before purchase.

Option 1 device

Qubino Z-Wave Plus ZMNHID3

Re: the battery powered option...

Those are good points. I'm still new to this so it looks like I've got more research to do!

What would be the other, powered option?

The Qubino Z-Wave Plus ZMNHID3.

I didn't add a link but google will give you plenty.

Now if you are in the mood to roll your own. You can use the same sensor but use a NodeMCU Arduino board and @ogiewon 's Hubduino software (link can be found on this forum).

It goes together real easy. The software is basically plug and play. If interested there is more info I can supply.

John

1 Like

I use a Sonoff TH16 with my pool and pool heater. works well. It does need to be flashed to be used with hubitat. And i did need to purchase a waterproof box for it.

how did you flash it?

Im thinking of getting one of the sonoffth16s for my server cabinet to control when the fans turn on. The Smartthings temp sensor has a lot of drift and i think this probe would be more accurate

I used Tasmotizer-
Releases · tasmota/tasmotizer · GitHub

And this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9G2LM7/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Azr9EbVQ174BY

I'm using this driver-

I make Environment Sensor. It should be able to monitor your server room out of the box. It is DC powered and have battery backup.

It is expandable if you really have to go with a probe. There are a couple options. If you are interested, feel free to reach out.

Thanks
Iman

ohh ok hold on let me try and catch up haha.

So you used the Tasmotizer exe and installed it? to the sonoffth16 using the USB to serial adapter? then after that it is able to be connected to hubitat?

Sorry i am not the brightest crayon in the box so i want to make sure i will be able to set this up before buying the different pieces :slight_smile:

ohhhh interesting!

Is this more accurate than the smartthings multi sensors?

Also i am assuming i could just plug it into a USB plug and have it powered that way?

Yes, You mentioned about server. I thought I also brought up that it is also battery backed up. It can stay alive when your have power outage.

It should be. I am using Bosch BME280 for temperature, humidity and pressure sensor. This is probably the best sensor there is. My DTH also have offset adjustment if you need to calibrate it further. You would get this out of the box.

In any case, If you find that you still have to use a probe, the sensor has expandable analog pin which you can connect to module like below. (sorry I posted wrong link on initial post).

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Thermocouple-Amplifier-Electronic-Components/dp/B07L1522LB

Then, you can connect to K-Type Thermocouple. There is no coding need it for this route. But, you have to wire pins from module to module. I have the DTH for those to work. Thermocouple can work on extreme tempereature range.

The sensor has serial port that you can use as expansion. If you are looking to venture on Arduino development, you can do something like I just did last weekend.

Thanks
Iman

sold. I look forward to setting it up!

what is the driver i need for this work?

Here is the main Environment Sensor DTH.

Thanks
Iman