Tasmota and Hubitat - Is there any future?

Hey there,

I was thinking about starting out with Tasmota, but getting through the topics, it seems, that the older integrations won't work anymore. So is it even worth it, starting with Tasmota. Yeah, sure, I could get HA and an MQTT-Broker etc. but that's just a little over the top for me.

Are there maybe any plans of a native integration? @bravenel @mike.maxwell

There aren't at the moment.

I don't use it, but this threads seems to make me think there is a working HE -> Tasmota integration available, with very recent check-ins this year on Github.

When I was researching what system to get HE was best at most things but this is one area the tasmota people on youtube say this is one area HA kicks HE's butt and its really too bad. WiFi switches are so cheap and work so well locally with Tasmota (or other firmware) on HA if you are savvy enough to it working. (Which I am not.)

That’s a big if though. Hubitat staff have to weigh the needs of less technically savvy users when deciding on how to prioritize limited development resources.

5 Likes

And their technical capabilities. I can envisage support fielding queries on how to flash a particular device or how to recover from a flash gone bad.

Home Assistant doesn’t have to deal with that.

5 Likes

You can get switches preflashed with tasmota for less than $20. (Flashing old switches was the hard part.) I would think an innovative company like Hubitat would welcome the added functionality, double clicks, led dimmers, etc.

Doesn't HA integrate with Tasmota via MQTT? That's something you're trying to avoid even within just HE.

Possibly. But then again if that’s something that only a small minority of their total user base would see as a major attraction, then it still might not push them over a threshold needed to prioritize development related to Tasmota.

1 Like

Agreed. And from my understanding, historically, there have been breaking changes between Tasmota versions. That, coupled with an abundance of similarly-priced zigbee 3.0 devices, probably reduces the enthusiasm to prioritize support for Tasmota-flashed devices.

2 Likes

A relay style dimmer switches that will allow dimming a single led bulb circuit that only draws 7 watts? I'd guess about 30-40% of potential applications fall into this category. I see you guys have talked yourselves into ignoring it.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

30-40% of all Hubitat users have a need to dim an LED bulb load that draws a very low amount of power, ~7 watts?

1 Like

Like @marktheknife, I also don't understand what you mean, but let me illustrate what I mean about Tasmota v/s zigbee 3.0 devices with the following two examples of dimmers (since you mentioned dimmers).

Here's a zigbee 3.0 in-wall dimmer made by Moes. Available for $19.99.

Here's a very similar in-wall dimmer from Moes in a WiFi configuration - this version can be flashed with Tasmota. Available for $20.99

Why not just use the zigbee 3.0 dimmer? It is natively supported; doesn't require any futzing about, and is about the same price.

Makes sense?

2 Likes

I'm talking wall switches. The minimum load on most zigbee or z-wave wall switches is 15-20 watts (and 40 watts on older switches). In a room with only one bulb, you can't use a dimmer switch with a LED bulb because you don't have the minimum load. WiFi wall switches were designed after LEDs came out so they uses a on/off switch with a secondary dimming circuit. Alexa runs them fine but you can't control them through Hubitat without tricking it with virtual sensors and writing a bunch of routines for each switch.

Yes I understand what kind of devices you’re referring to and why it can be appealing on a bulb circuit with a very low power draw. I’m confirming whether you mean that 30-40% of all Hubitat customers want that?

1 Like

No, I'm saying 30-40% of the switches in an average house can't use a zigbee or z-wave dimmer switch because there is not enough of a load with LEDs. They can use a regular zigbee or z-wave on/off switch, go back to incandescent bulbs or just use a WiFi dimmer switch through Alexa or Google.

First off, I have Hubitat compatible dimmers (Lutron Caseta, Zooz Zen26) that handle a single 13 watt light bulb. But secondly, one could also wire an in-line MLC for situations like this with other dimmers.

3 Likes

Hmm, what’s that estimate based on?

1 Like

"I'd guess" based on my house and my previous residences in New England; most rooms have one ceiling bulb and a wall switch. My current house was wired about 18 years ago with z-wave switches, before LEDs or smart bulbs were available. I've had everything from the first Micasaverde through a vera3, wink, smartthings and an unopened Ezlo. I'm still using the smartthings in an outbuilding and can't wait to get rid of it. I still have about 20 z-wave switches and 16 wifi just so I could keep dimmers but use LEDs. Alexa integrates everything fine but it would be nice to control everything through my dashboards and scene controllers.

And if read the tasmota compatible devices list, many of the newer china/cheap devices are now being made with wifi chips (no longer esp8266) that can't be flashed with tasmota (yet).

This is for a Feit brand in wall dimmer:
WARNING: New Tuya devices have replaced their Wi-Fi module with one incompatible with Tasmota!!!
Tuya-Convert might not be possible for this device since the template was added (2020-03-12).

IMO they (mfgs) are following the subscription based idea to lock you into their brand.

So after you order 5 or 10 from aliexpress and find you cant flash them, then what?

Tasmota on commercial Wifi devices is hit or miss unless you do your homework.

2 Likes