Tapt Light Switch

I'm moving over from Wink and having some mixed success. My Quirky / GE / Tapt light switch is what I thought I might have the most trouble with, but after turning off the power at the breaker for 30 minutes and trying different pairing, it did pair using the IRIS V1 ZIGBEE device. I was thrilled when it actually found it, but I don't see any option for the device to even turn it on or off. Obviously, there was some connectivity found to get this far, but I'm not sure what to do from here to turn it on and off. Any guidance is appreciated.

I thought I might share some screenshots of what I'm seeing, but I'm not seeing that this forum allows it or at least even adding a link to a picture doesn't seem possible.

Wrong choice. It is not an Iris V1 zigbee device. You need to reset it, and re-pair it as a regular Zigbee device.

Join the owners group to get permission to post pictures and send PMs using the link below:

http://community.hubitat.com/g/owners

Edit: Also go through this thread, with multiple helpful posts from @ranchitat, on how to get a Tapt switch working with Hubitat.

1 Like

Thanks very much. I've had some success, but surprised how complicated this has gotten for a consumer product. Anyway, I leveraged the driver code and added it to the Developer Tools accordingly, repaired the Tapt light using Zigbee and then selected the new driver code and it does work. I can turn it ON and OFF from the hub, which is great.

However, the whole reason for having a Tapt light where I do is to turn on and off two other lights that are in close proximity. I'm sure I can setup a rule to do that, but there is one major problem. That is, the status of what the TAPT light is in does not go back to the HUB. If you turn it off at the light, the HUB doesn't receive that information and thinks it is still on. The HUB would need to know what the status of the TAPT light is to trigger the other lights accordingly. Does anyone know what the the trick is to accomplish this?

Please read the thread I linked to above.

Edit: The Tapt doesn’t conform to the ZHA1.2 standard. So it takes some finessing to do what you’d like to. But that thread describes both the issue and ways to address it.

1 Like

Thanks. I did read that and tried the first suggestion of changing the few commands. As another poster commented, it didn't work. I can only assume you are referring to the last post where it states how to add an app that refreshes the status of switches I guess on a pretty frequent basis. I have two problems with that. First, I'm too ignorant to know how to install an app like this to work. :slight_smile: and secondly, I'm not so sure it seems like a good fix if it is having to poll that status of the lights continually to know what the status might be at any given time. In my case, I need to turn on the tapt light at the switch and then it needs to tell two other lights to turn on in the same room. It seems like you would hit the switch and then it would take quite a bit of delay before the status would be checked to do the rest, but maybe I'm wrong. I know I just need to test it to be sure. I'll see if I can figure out how to install this app and how to turn it on. If anyone knows what I should be doing here, much appreciated for any help.

The issue is that the Tapt isn’t ZHA1.2 compliant. The best that can be done is a periodic refresh. Unless you, or someone else, writes a driver for the Tapt.

Yea, I sort of thought that might be the case and is why I didn't really see it as a good solution. I just purchased a different switch to replace it. Hopefully, that will do the trick. Thanks again.

1 Like

It is unfortunate. Yet, the reality is that technology has changed dramatically in the 7-8 years since the Quirky Tapt was released (2015).

1 Like

I agree with this. Newer stuff like the Zooz and Inovelli switches are feature filled (scenes, double and triple taps, LED indicators, etc) and cost less than many of these old switches did back then. Even a plain GE/Jasco works significantly better than the similar one from 1-2 generations back.

These older switches are good for things like closets, garages, and other places where you want a smart switch, but don't necessarily care about speed, reporting status, and all that. I have relocated quite a few switches over the years from one room to another to have certain switch features in a particular room.

You will catch on pretty quick. Community based apps and drivers are something former Wink users like you and I never had to deal with. Being able to add your own apps and drivers are mind blowing.

You can add features to the hub and aren't limited to the built-in apps or device drivers like Wink. That was one of the shortcomings of Wink, they are a closed ecosystem and they never updated to add new devices or things an enhanced automation engine. They could have had things like motion lighting apps and lighting scenes, but they never made the effort to do so beyond the silly Robots. With Hubitat, someone whips up an app, you upload it, and you have a new feature!

Adding apps and drivers is fairly straightforward. You upload a link to apps code or driver code, and press save. Even easier is to use Hubitat Package Manager. You still have to install this one app manually, but after that you just click and it does most everything for you. If you are interested, myself or someone can provide links and instructions how to do all this.

2 Likes

Thanks for mentioning Zooz. Hadn't heard of it before, but I'll keep that on my list of products to try in the future. Before reading this I already purchased an UltraPro Z-wave switch. I think Amazon is bent on world domination because it is supposed to be here between 4AM and 8AM in the morning. Is there a warehouse on my street I don't know about? :slight_smile:

Very nice of you and thanks for the offer, but I think I'm probably good. My needs are really simple, just basic on and off when I want them, and to get my Master Bath lighting straightened out. I still don't know why someone would decide to build a medium size bathroom with three different light switches in it.

Even though Wink sold the Tapt as a solution to this, it never really delivered. Sending those signals back to Wink and waiting for the other lights to turn on always offered too much delay. I have higher expectations for Hubitat. Not to mention Wink would just fail from time to time. It would go stretches and work ok and then it wouldn't. This latest outage for them was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I actually had no problem paying their monthly fees, but they have communicated so poorly about this outage, it really gave me a feeling that they weren't being led very well. It is bad enough that they were down for weeks now, but I also just received the first email about the outage today and they only have a rough estimate on when it will be back up. I have a feeling there will be a lot of people doing the same thing I am and move away from Wink and come to Hubitat because of all this. It is a shame because I think they could have done some good things, but when leadership doesn't communicate in a timely and routine manner with their customers, personally, I think that's a problem. Just my two cents and probably worth less.

1 Like

Several current Hubitat users used Wink at one point of time or the other. I jumped from Wink to Home Assistant when Flex sold Wink to i.am+ in 2017 because I had no faith in i.am+ running Wink given their past history of failures. I switched back to using Wink (along with Stringify), in mid-2018 when a Home Assistant update killed my installation. In late 2018, when it became apparent that Comcast were likely to shutdown Stringify, I started looking into Hubitat and switched in early March of 2019.

This is a rock solid platform. I'm currently running two hubs at home along with a Caseta Pro bridge. Around 250 devices in total. Zero complaints.

2 Likes

Well I have a small bathroom also with three switches in it, but two them are for a single light circuit (Jack and Jill style) and the other for an exhaust fan. :wink:
If you replace all three of your switches with Z-Wave, look into associations for synchronicity.

1 Like

I would feel drunk with power and never leave the house. Very nice my friend!

1 Like

Thanks. Two of the lights are Zigbee bulbs already so I'll try out rules first and see how they do. Coming from Wink the bar was pretty low. Click the Tapt, wait maybe 3 seconds and then one light comes on, wait another 10 seconds and maybe the other light comes on....maybe. I feel like Hubitat can probably beat that by a pretty good margin. If so, I'll be happy.

2 Likes

I do remember those days. I use a lot of motion lighting. Here's the timing betwen a motion active event being detected, and a light turning on.

Around 200 milliseconds!

Ruh-roh, this was a problem for me when I first went from Wink to HE, lots of bulbs and plugs as crappy repeaters in my ZigBee mesh.
With Wink there was no feedback why things were flaky, lots and lots of stuff went on in the background (cloud) to compensate for the crappy hardware.
With HE it's all local so any issues are very visible to the end user.

If you'd like a mostly unbiased assessment of your smart home components feel free to list them here.

(Caseta Army assemble :rofl:)

1 Like

I appreciate it, but as far as the actual devices, it is working pretty well so far. I did switch out the Tapt Light for an Ultra-Pro light and then just setup basic rules to turn the other lights on and off as that main light was turned on and off. There is some delay, maybe a second or so, but the most important part is that it appears to be reliable. After maybe 30 or so tests, it worked every time, with only one having about 5 second delay. I'm happy with that and will just monitor it over time.

However, what I am having issues with is the mobile device app. When I launch my iPhone's Hubitat app and go to "Connect to a hub" and then go to "Devices" the commands work perfectly. Every switch is pretty much immediate and the feedback of its status is very quick as well. However, you have have go through the menu quite a bit to get there. What seems like a better space to access those functions is to simply go to DEVICES when you open the Hubitat app. The only problem is, using those buttons to turn things on and off brings in problems. I can turn a stairwell light ON that is basically in the same room as the HUB itself and it turns the light on, but then also displays a little "circle of wait" and the icon itself does not show that the light is on even though it is. You can't turn off the light now as the "circle of wait" continues to spin. I have to close the Hubitat app entirely and then open it back up for it to acquire the accurate status and then I can turn it off. Again, its odd to me that the DEVICES page struggles with this, but when you connect to the hub directly and access DEVICES there, its status seems perfect. Weird.

Oh, and I should mention that DASHBOARD on the mobile device just displays a "circle of wait" as well. I don't even have any dashboards created so I'm not entirely sure what it is doing there.