Syncing Hue Bulbs and Zooz Zen30 Dimmers

Goal: Use RGBW Hue bulbs to sync with Zooz Zen 30 Dimmers and be able to use the Hue app, HE automation, and physical dimmers to control them.

In Use:
Physical devices:

• 2x Hue RGBW bulbs
  • 1x Zooz Zen 30 double-switch dimmer (driver = Zooz ZEN30 Double Switch from jtp10181)

Apps:

• CocoHue Integration (with push updates enabled and using the Hue groups)
  • Room Lighting
  • Switch Bindings

I ran into several issues and have solved most of them so far but haven't been able to get the dimmer switches to talk kindly with the bulbs.

The last issue I ran into was that if the bulbs were turned on with the Hue app, the switch wouldn't update and wouldn't be able to turn them off (even with the turn off even if already off in room lighting) without first cycling them "on" again and then off. I solved this by making the Hue group the "master" inside of Switch Bindings.

Now it looks like when sending commands from the physical dimming the switch, the switch isn't updating very quickly, which in turn slows everything else down. For example, I turn the switch on, light turns on fine, I dim to 50% it dims to 50% I then go back to 100% and the switch stays at 50%. If I hit refresh on the light switch device page in HE, the light updates back to 100%. Sometimes they just don't turn on though as well. For example, I will hit the switch, nothing happens...check the hue app and it shows the bulbs on...if I cycle it in the Hue app, they come on just fine.

• Do I have Room Lighting and Switch Binding configured correctly?

• Is there a better way to do this?

• Should I be using the Hue Group, or individual bulbs inside of Room Lighting/Switch Binding?

Let me know if you need any additional information to help me diagnose! Thanks!

1 Like

Would something in Rule machine work better for this? Maybe add in a virtual device to use as a master in switch bindings?

What is the purpose of Room Lighting in your use case? I’ve got a similar setup that works well, but use Room Lighting to control Hue scenes.

The issues with the dimming is partially related to how Switch Bindings is set up. By having a master, the Hue bulbs will not follow the dimmer. You need to remove the master and have just the Hue group and switch together.

Finally, you should almost always use Hue Groups and/or Hue Scenes rather than individual bulbs. This helps eliminate any popcorn effect and leverages the strength of the Hue Bridge.

So I'm currently using the Motion/Mode app to control a completely different group of lights. The hope is to one day switch those over to room lighting, but I also want to be able to use a physical dimmer to do overrides for the motion/mode. That has always been super temperamental and is the most used automation so hoping to get the bugs worked out in the office as more of a testing environment.

I did pause the room lighting and set the switch bindings without the master like you said. It works most of the time, however, there is sometimes about an 8-10 second delay between sending commands from the switch to the bulbs responding. For example, bulb is on, hit the switch off, the switch is registered off, bulbs don't turn off for 8-10 seconds.

Then other times Switch Bindings just fails altogether. See the top of the screenshot, switch registers off, sendings the switch binding command for off, but the group is still marked as On (and the lights are still on...)

Unfortunately, this will not be easy to fix as there could be a variety of different issues going on. However, I do have an idea that might help as I use it at home. Setup your Room Lighting like before; however, do not put the switch as a Means to Activate or Turn Off. Instead do two things:

1.) Under "use turn off alternative", put the office hue group there. This way, if you turn off via the Hue App, it will also turn off Room Lighting.

2.) Create a Room Lighting Activator Device.

The above is what your options should look like (you can ignore my activation table and just use yours).

Once the Room Lighting is complete, now go back to Switch Bindings. In here, I want you to bind the Zooz switch, the Hue Office group, and the Activator Device that you created in Room Lighting. You do not need a master switch for this binding.

Now test this creation and see if it works. We can worry about dimming later and focus on getting consistent on/off behavior from both the switch and hue app. Let me know how it goes before we troubleshoot some more.