Sylvania SMART+ ZigBee Full Color Accent Light Starter Kit

Hi,
My question is if I am going to use these lights do I still have to buy the Osram hub. Furthermore, I was reading through the Quick Manual and it says I have to use my wifi. The whole point of having the hubitat is so I don't use my Wifi. Can anyone help me figure this out. Right now, I have lights that aren't working and a dumbfounded look on my face. Please help this newbie.

Best,
Sharon

Welcome, Sharon!

While the Accent Light Starter Kit isn't specifically listed on the compatible device list, I have a hunch that the controller will pair as a "Generic Zigbee RGBW Light." So do a zigbee device discovery and select Generic Zigbee RGBW Light as the type. Then click "Configure" and see if you get any control options on the device page.

2 Likes

I have a couple different OSRAM/Sylvania devices. They work fine with the generic RGB or RGBW driver depending on which one they actually are.

These lights worked fine for me until recently, and now I am having a great deal of problems with them. Did any recent HE firmware updates impact compatibility that I am not aware of?

Are they Smart+ or Osram / Lightify? Look on the Zigbee module plugged into to the DC wall adapter. The lightify ones are definitely problematic (even when moved to their own HE). I swapped all of mine out (16 total!) for Smart+ and still keep them on their own HE hub with nothing attached. Since I went this route, all is working well.

I bought a set from Amazon about 3 weeks ago. Paired easily with Hubitat and worked fine so I ordered another set. At the time they were $18.99 each. The same set is now $41.49. The only issue I had with them is the self-stick isn't strong enough.
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Changing-Dimmable-SmartThings-Assistant/dp/B00R1PB80I

I seen a post in this forum yesterday that showed Walmart has a kit for $16, however, it includes only one 16ft strip along with the power supply and controller. I'm tempted to buy a couple of those.

1 Like

I had the same issue with some generic strips I bought. Added this 300LSE tape and they've never come off. I did have to press them back in a few places for the first week or so, but it's been good ever since. If you put it in a channel with a defuser it's much less of an issue.

Yup ... those were the same ones I bought to harvest the Zigbee module to replace the Osram Lightify modules in my already installed light strips. I first paired them to the Lightify Bridge to let them take a FW update (I think you can do this with Smarthings Bridge as well for FW update).
Seeing as I already had the separate HE hub I bought to try to rectify the unstable Lightify lights, after unpairing the Lightify modules, I paired the new units to the 2nd HE hub and use Hubconnect. Been working perfectly now for a couple of weeks. I now have about a mile extra of strips!!! Sylvania wouldn't sell me just the modules and was forced to buy the entire kit and was lucky to have nabbed them when the price was $19.

Thanks all for the replies. These are the newer based on the writing on the module. I bought in that same deal from last year on amazon, and actually have 3 zigbee modules. What I did a bit after I posted here was to change out the zigbee module from one of the other sets I had purchased. So far it is working. Before discovering this issue, i ordered the walmart deal for the indoor strips mentioned above so I have those coming. Just picked up a cheap lightify bridge/hub on amazon for $12 in case i need any updating. Are those bridges/hubs going to be decommissioned?

Yes, you have lots of time to use them to update.

If you already have them connected in HE, just factory reset (don't delete from HE), pair them to the Lightify Bridge, update the FW, then delete from the Lightify Bridge. When you delete, they automatically are reset. When you pair them back to HE, they will slot right back in where they were ... no need to recreate any automations.

1 Like

Ah, thank you so much. That is a lot of time. My products report LEDADVANCE in hubitat anyway, so I wonder if it is needed. For $12, better to have it than not.

You got the same strips I ordered from Amazon (LEDADVANCE) and they all took a FW update when I paired them with the Lightify Bridge (each took about 15 min to update). The factory reset instructions are a PITA (using the power brick plugged into the wall ... 5 seconds unplugged, 5 seconds plugged for 5 cycles to reset ... strip flashes Red, Green, Blue.) At least you won't have to reset again after FW update as the Lightify bridge auto resets them after unpairing/deleting. A simple rediscovery on HE auto slots them back in restoring the name and automations.

Well, we are back to being screwed up again as the lights arent responding to simple rule or to manual commands in the device tab. I guess I'll have to wait until the hub gets here to update. i'm wondering if this could be some sort of zigbee signal strength issue.

After I updated my units, I place them on a second HE hub. So far theyโ€™ve been working great for the past few weeks

So I received the hub and updated it, then paired with the accent lights. Currently on firmware 00102201, which system settings say is current and up to date. Of note, when viewing the device itself in the Lightify app, the "dynamic presets" button says it will not function because the firmware is not up to date. Perhaps it is not a function of these lights.

Found this information on smarthings forum, seems to be some discrepancy about what the latest firmware actually is, perhaps based on which model it is.

All the ones I received from Amazon when paired to the Lightify hub updated with new firmware. The only actions I used on the Lightify hub after updating was to toggle them on and off and to remove. I didnโ€™t try any other features on Lightify hub before pairing to Hubitat

1 Like

As much as I hate to permanently have another hub running (already have HUE and Lutron in addition to HE) I may try the lightify integration app I saw which will buy me a year