Sylvania Lightify BR30 bulb becomes unresponsive with 24 h

I just started with Hubitat and was hoping that my Sylvania Lightify BR30 bulbs (73740) might be more stable with Hubitat than they have been with deConz. Sadly, this is not the case. I have only added one bulb as a test and this is the only device added to Hubitat so far. The bulb is discovered and is fully functional for many hours, when it stops. Turning off power and turning power back on restores the functioning. Any thoughts at troubleshooting? Thanks. {
"name": "Island Two Zigbee CT Bulb (dev)",
"label": "Island Two Zigbee CT Bulb (dev)",
"type": "Generic Zigbee CT Bulb (dev)",
"id": "1",
"date": "2019-04-25T13:32:26+0000",
"model": null,
"manufacturer": null,
"capabilities": [
"Switch",
"Configuration",
"SwitchLevel",
"Refresh",
"Actuator",
"ColorTemperature",
"Light",
"ChangeLevel"
],
"attributes": {
"colorName": "Incandescent",
"dataType": "ENUM",
"values": [
"on",
"off"
],
"colorTemperature": "2702",
"level": "51",
"switch": "off"
},
"commands": [
{
"command": "configure"
},
{
"command": "off"
},
{
"command": "off"
},
{
"command": "on"
},
{
"command": "on"
},
{
"command": "refresh"
},
{
"command": "setColorTemperature"
},
{
"command": "setLevel"
},
{
"command": "startLevelChange"
},
{
"command": "stopLevelChange"
}

The problem isn't with any hub, it's with the bulbs themselves. The Lightify bulbs are horrible in terms of stability and repeating.

There really isn't any fix available as the issue lies in the firmware of the bulbs themselves. What's happening is that the bulb is experiencing a buffer overflow and that causes the bulb to become unresponsive. When that happens, only a power cycle will clear the buffer and allow it to respond again.

My suggestion would be to replace them if at all possible. I say this as an owner of these nightmare bulbs :smiley:

Yeah, they are known bad repeaters also. I had one of the BR30's and at 15ft from the hub through 1 wall it had an RSSI of like -90db. I replaced it with a Sengled BR30 and the signal went up to -50db. They just suck in general.

Highly recommend either Sengled because they do not repeat or Hue connected through the Hue hub work well also.

1 Like

:grinning:

I haven't had any issues with my BR30s, but they are the Sylvania Smart+ branded RGBWs. I also have 8 of the recessed color lights both lightify and Sylvania Smart+ that have been very reliable. I actually wish all of our lights were the recessed ones as they have been solid for over a year now. The A19s have been terrible though and are slowly being replaced with Philips Hue. I do have 10 repeaters throughout the house and ran an ethernet cable to the center of the house for the hub, which made a huge difference even with the repeaters. The RSSI of the recessed lights runs in the 40s-50s. The A19s and BR30s are in the 60s-70s. Amazon has 2 packs of the Sylvania full color recessed lights for $29 btw. I have updated the firmware on all of them. They are still shipping with outdated firmware that needs to be updated to work properly.

Did you do this with the Sylvania hub? AFAIK, even the updated firmware doesn't fully address the buffer overflow issue. Granted, it's been about a year since I've even looked at the firmware for the Lightify bulbs.

Smarthings can update these bulbs, if you're an ST refugee like many here, assuming you still have the hub...

I do, but I never saw them update. I'll have to hook it back up and see if I can get them to update.

I think there a couple of generation's of Osram/Sylvania bulbs out there. The first gen bulbs were the ones that the firmware update only partially resolved the issues. I do not have experience with the newer gen stuff. Maybe we need a thread to track each part number. I saw there is some Zigbee 3.0 bulbs that went through certification from Osram/Sylvania/Ledvance, hopefully they cover routing better on the Zigbee 3.0 test cases.

I am not a refugee from St. :grinning: I have been using HomeSeer for more than a decade. HomeSeer itself does not provide much zigbee support. Third party plug-ins do. I am looking to integrate Hubitat with HomeSeer via a plug-in that has become available recently. I had been using the OSRAM hub, which is cloud-based. Their tech support has told me that all my lights are up-to-date regarding firmware. These bulbs had been rock-solid with deConz, until a software/firmware update.

I updated them on SmartThings. There are different firmware versions for the Osram vs Sylvania. From my own experience, the Osram versions are to be avoided.

Thanks. I guess I have the OSRAM versions, since my hub is OSRAM.

The Sylvania bulbs have Sylvania Smart+ printed on them as opposed to Osram Lightify. I must admit that I haven’t had any trouble with the Osram recessed full color lights. They were the first ones that I purchased and have never disconnected or failed. At least 12 of my Osram A19 RGBW bulbs have been replaced under warranty with the Sylvania version. Most died in less than 6 months. I have 9 of the Osram A19 CT bulbs in one fixture for over a year that have survived without failing, but several would need rejoined to the hub every week until I moved the hub to the same room. They do still drop messages, but I haven’t seen it effect any other devices. I’ve noticed they respond much more reliably using zigbee group messaging.

Thank you! My bulbs have just OSRAM (no Sylvania) written on them. Curiously, the first bulb I added seems to have stabilized (connection has not been lost for over 24 hours - self-healing feature? :grinning:). So, I have just added my second OSRAM bulb.

Guys a suggestion, we should start specifying the FCC ID when discussing. There are at least 2 different systems in these bulbs, maybe more, which would affect behavior seen. The older troublemaker bulbs have IQ-HOME in the FCC ID and the newer ones have AETHER in the FCC ID.

Thanks. I have the IQHOME, troublemaker ones.