Switching from smart things but have all Tplink

I am thinking of switching from Smartthings to Hubitat, but have all Kasa/Tplink switches and bulbs, does TPlink work with Hbutitat

Yes, though not natively. There is a popular and well supported Community app / drivers:

I've been using it almost from the beginning of my time here, works like a charm.

I'd double-check though the exact list of devices / models with @djgutheinz , the developer. Speak of the devil.... :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the community. I am the developer of the TP-Link integration. Request is please read the instructions (linked at @sburke781 post earlier). Need assistance - do not fail to ask on that thread also.

4 Likes

Ok so I got the hub and got the integrations done, switches and bulbs work fine from dashboard. But, with I set up a rule for my sons smart switch to activate his smart bulb it doesn’t work. It just clicks, sometimes the bulb will flash,

This is how I had smartthings set up

This is how I have hubitat set up

Do I have it set up wrong?

You should probably post this to the tp-link thread above because Dave monitors that thread and is also well versed in SmartThings :wink:. I no longer use tp-link devices and one of the reasons is that they don’t report state changes, which means you must poll the device if you want a change to trigger your automations. TP-link’s native app polls them every 5 or 10 seconds if I remember correctly, which is not something I’m keen on doing to my Hubitat or my WiFi network.
For switches/dimmers that you want to have trigger automations, I would suggest a Z-wave plus or Zigbee dimmer, since they automatically send state changes to the hub, and use the tp-link ones in other areas. This doesn’t mean that you can’t poll your tp-link devices, just to be careful (this isn’t running on the resources of a cloud server) and also realize that it’s not going to have the same responsiveness as a Zigbee, or Z-wave plus device for triggering other devices. I hope this is helpful.
Also, looking at the rules you created, it looks like you have it set to turn on and immediately off. The “when a ….” part is the trigger for everything that follows it. You would be better off using Simple Automations for this, and it will probably make more sense. Also know that it’s fine to have a lot of small rules vs consolidating many things into large ones. Rules are basically free, resource wise, and Simple Automations rules run faster than Rule Machine rules d/t less overhead.

2 Likes

Welcome :wave:

As Ken said, you want two rules. I also notice you are using the switch as a trigger and then turning that switch on in the next step. I don’t understand the reason why.

Normally, the “when” part of a Basic Rule is your trigger. The “then” part is your action. You don’t typically need to turn ON the switch that has been used to turn something on.

Again, good advice. Basic Rules have no noticeable cost to the hub, so many is fine when you’re just getting started with Hubitat. When you get into Rule Machine and more complex rules, you’ll also understand how to use fewer.

2 Likes

Aside from the rule (I am not a rule expert at all), how are you turning on the Switch (through the Hubitat Environment (HE) (i.e., dashboard) or at the physical switch)? It makes a difference.

If through a physical push of the switch, the driver has a command, setPollInterval. You can set this as low as 5 seconds. Use only if you have a use case and only when absolutly necessary.

Other items:

• SmartThings: After you get this working, remove (or disable) the rule from SmartThings. This is true for any rule you have in SmartThings for HE integrated devices. Also, remove the Kasa integration from SmartThings once you have all devices ported to HE.
  • Amazon Alexa: If you use Alexa and have a SmartThings or Kasa skill enabled in Alexa, disable these and make sure the devices are no longer there. Then use the Hubitat Alexa Integration to connect you devices to Alexa. This will require rewriting any Alexa routines;, however, having duplicate devices in Alexa will cause anomolous actions.
  • Google Home: Probably same as Amazon Alexa (likely). Not familiar with Google Home.
2 Likes