Swapping hue bulbs

Hi all. I swapped and added a couple bulbs around within my Hue ecosystem. I then realised that they didn't automatically update within hubitat devices (refreshed and added within Hue app). I really thought that they would have. Annoying but I suppose the price to pay for a manual system. But what got to me even more was that I couldn't associate the bulb in 'Devices' to the associated bulb in Hue. There was no mention of what I called "bulb X" in hubitat to what was listed in Hue. Am I doing something wrong or could someone please provide me some good guidelines to follow to allow future upgrades with minimal rework. I don't want to get to a stage of not wanting to upgrade 1 bulb because I fear that there are a hundred rules that I may have to reset due to this.
Thanks.
Alan

Hubitat will not update Hue bulb names if they are renamed in the Hue app/Bridge. The built-in Hue Bridge integration also does not offer a way to compare Hubitat names vs. Hue names (though if you're interested, I wrote a custom Hue Bridge integration that does have this feature--not an easy replacement since all the devices would be have to be swapped out like "new"). The flip side of this is that you can name/rename the bulb on Hubitat whatever you want at any time with no unexpected side effects; bulbs and groups are both tied to Hue by their Hue-assigned IDs, not their names. I make use of this because I don't always want the exact same name in Hubitat and Hue (in Hue, I always know I'm dealing with a light, for example, so none of my Hue names end with "bulb," "light," etc.; in Hubitat I sometimes need to make that clearer).

For groups, I do not know of an easy way to compare unless you have a third-party app that shows you group IDs. For bulbs, the official Hue app can show you bulb IDs: Settings > About, then look for your list of lights. The number preceding the name is the Hue-assigned ID. You can match this up with the Hubitat device network ID (DNI), which will be in a format like "123/45", where "45" here would be the Hue ID ("123" can be ignored and is just the internal Hubitat app ID for that Hue Bridge integration instance). This should help you match things up between the two systems.

Thanks for the info.
Could you please let me know where to get your app. I won't do that now but we are planning on buying a new house and will do that then.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.