Support for Modern Forms Ceiling Fan Control

Thank you for testing and the kind words.

I don't think fans are supported as a device in Google Home. I used the Fan capability in the device so if it ever gets supported, it should work

A couple things.

1. IT WORKS!!! You are awesome, I can't test out your light part of it because I just got the fan only version (replaced another fan with no lights in it) Took me a second to remember I had to click an extra button to get HE to register the fan speed after selecting the drop down for what speed I wanted (not your fault, more of an HE issue that I probably won't have if I get it set up on my dashboard instead of going into devices.

2. Mine works through google home and google assistant, oddly enough when I ask my google home hub to turn it on or off, it says it can't find it but still does the command haha...maybe that won't work anymore after I completely take the SmartThings hub offline? We will see I guess.

3. In your notes (that completely saved me from giving up since I've never added a driver before - THANK YOU) you say you need to find your IP address for the fan. If you have the Modern Forms app downloaded, go into settings -> devices -> click the fan and it will show you your ip address for the fan :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your hard work, I definitely appreciate being able to fully get off SmartThings!

This is kind of a question unrelated to the work you've done, but any idea how to get this to show up properly in a dashboard? I chose "fan" and it just appears as a question mark (which i know you can just over-ride), and when you click it, all the prompts come up for the different options you have, but i can't theme that icon on my dashboard and it's driving me crazy...i know it's not a huge deal but it doesn't match anything else on my dashboard and I feel like I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what...

Yes, you can use the virtual device you created and on the dashboard, change the icon to a fan if you want. If you click this icon, you will get a drop-down with the fan speed options!

Thanks for trying! I don't have the light kit either but I see the options react in the fan's native app so I figured it worked.

I need to try it on Google now.

I forgot all about the IP addresses the app. Thanks for pointing that out as it is a lot easier to find. I still need to setup a static IP for my fans.

How are you guys able to add this to Google Home? I've tried removing/readding the device and unlinking/relinking in Google Home but it still doesn't show. I can add it to the list of authorized devices in the Google Home app on Hubitat, but when I sync devices in Google Home it doesn't show up. I then go to the Hubitat Google Home app and it's been removed from the authorized list. What's the trick?

@MrJittery: We can't. Google/Hubitat doesn't seem to support Fans yet. I think @RONxBURGUNDY might have still had it setup in SmartThings. I would love to see support for this integration as well.

Dang. Hopefully they'll get on that soon... This is the last piece of the puzzle for my house.

On a side note, I have the light kit on my fan and your code works great for it. Everything works just fine within Hubitat.

I wonder if we could create some kind of liaison device between Google and Hubitat... Like tie a virtual dimmer to trigger the light at certain levels... Same with the fan. I'll try to work on that today.

I haven't looked at / figured out how to create child devices in the driver otherwise it might be possible to create separate devices for the light and the fan (both dimmers). Let me know how far you get with the virtual devices.

I added two additional drivers. One for the Fan-Only and one for the Light-Only. Both work as a dimmer switch (see readme in Git). This might allow integration with Google Home. I have not tested this yet (limited time this morning).

@bravenel : Two questions

1. would it be possible for the fancontrol capability to have more than 5 speeds (a number of DC motor fans have more)?
  2. Is there any way to get fan integration with Google Home?

This is awesome - thank you! I have two Modern Forms fans, and one of them has no wall switch / RF remote due to there being no neutral available.

Now that I have this working, I'm going to order a Xiaomi Cube and see if I can set that up as the fan / light control ...

You are very welcome. Let me know if you run into any issues. Made me look at the cube controller and want one now too :slight_smile:

OK here's a question ... how difficult would it be to have the light and the fan show up as separate devices? Would help a lot with Alexa integration I think ...

I added separate device handlers for the Fan-Only and Light-Only. You can use those if you want...

Amazing - thank you!

I seem to be having issues trying to add both the fan and light with rule machine.. When I go into the devices I'm able to turn them on/off but not really sure how I would go about setting the dimmer or fan level. I have the fan outside and would like to trigger the fan/light to turn on with motion. I have tried to set both as dimmers but can't seem to get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Assuming you have a motion sensor?

Did you try motion lighting? It should be much easier than Rule Machine to set up. I never tried a fan with it, but I would guess it should let you choose that as they often are considered to be dimmers in Hubitat.

Sorry I should have mentioned that I do have a zwave motion sensor in the patio.. I think what I'm trying to achieve isn't possible with motion lighting. I have string lights connected to a zwave outdoor outlet that I have currently in my 'Outdoor Lighting' rule. I was able to get the fan to turn on and then go to "High" but the lights don't seem to want to turn on. I was able to get the fan to start by send a 'Switch ON' command before the sending the DIM 100% level.

If you are using the Modern Form Fans, the speed would be set with "fanSpeed" as this was implemented as a fan and not a dimmer. Perhaps this will help.

If you are using the separate devices for the Fan and the light, they would both have an "on" setting.

Sorry, I haven't tried any automation with them yet although I always thought I would tie them to a temperature sensor