Super novice struggling with my first rule

Just got my HE and super excited. Playing around with my first rule and struggling way more than I thought I would. This is insanely simple and I'm sure I'm doing something stupid as a first-timer. Help please!

I'm hoping to get my bathroom motion sensor to trigger a smart plug in my bathroom that controls some string lights. I only want this trigger to work between sunset minus 30 mins and 11:15pm. Yet it's been activating all day today and I can't figure it out. Thanks!

Go into device settings thatā€™s reporting your power usage and disable the reporting or set to like 9 hours. You clog up the Hubitat reporting devices that much. Just thought id mention that, I learned that in the beginning pretty quick.

As for the sunset and sunrise it looks like Hubitat is reporting the right time? Iā€™m unsure why its doing that to you, wait for another response from someone else,

2 Likes

It's not a complicated rule and looks like it should work. I'd Pause this rule and recreate it and see if the new version works.

1 Like

Are you sure the trigger should be motion sensor turn on and not motion sensor becomes active?
I am not in front of my pc so just out of my head.

The triggers in the OPā€™s screenshot is motion becoming active/inactive

The resultant actions are to turn on/off a smart plug.

Oops. My bad. Blame my small iPhone screenšŸ˜

I agree with the above that this looks like it should work. The first thing I'd do is just hit the Done button in this app to re-initialize things and see if that helps. If not, creating a new rule and seeing if it has the same issue helps.

...except actually before all of this, I'd make sure your hub's time and location settings are set correctly.

If you have time-based automations that are not performing the desired actions at the correct time (including specific times or times specified relative to sunrise or sunset), verify that your hub's time settings are correct:

1. Navigate to Settings > Hub Details.
  2. Make sure that Latitude, Longitude, and Time Zone are all correct (or at least reasonably close for the first two). These are used to calculate the sun times you'll also see on this page.
  3. If you had to change anything above: hit Save settings, then do a Settings > Reboot and return to the page after the hub comes back up to verify that Current Hub Time (as of last page load), Sunrise, and Sunset all look correct.
5 Likes

Really appreciate everyone's feedback! I did a reboot and paused and re-did the rule just in case. We're now inside the time frame I wanted it to work, and it's working as it should. Will update you if it keeps turning on tomorrow morning when it shouldn't.

And thank you @michaelmcvay88 I'm going to dig more into that power reporting tomorrow. I figured there was a way to reduce that craziness but wasn't sure. Appreciate the heads up!

1 Like

Resetting things seems to have worked! Really appreciate everyone's help!

@michaelmcvay88 I tried looking into the power reporting question and couldn't find a lot of direction on how to do it. I was guessing that changing the "event history size" or "state history size" settings might change this, but no luck--still reporting 0W every 30 seconds. Then I found this thread and it sounds like others have this same problem with the TR motion sensors? New: Third Reality Power monitoring plug - #126 by craigspree

Does the deviceā€™s settings page have preferences that include configurable parameters for power reporting? Like minimum wattage change to report?

1 Like

I don't believe there's many options there. I hope I'm looking in the right place:

Hmm, looks like power reporting should be disabled, based on that screenshot.

Try savings preferences one more time. Then hit the ā€œconfigureā€ button at the top of the page.

1 Like

This worked! I will file this one away in my knowledge bank that the "configure" button is useful when changing settings, etc.

Really appreciate all the help, I already feel like I learned a lot from this one.

2 Likes

Yup, anytime you change the device preferences like that, hitting the configure button will cause the hub to send the new settings to the device.

1 Like