Super accurate angle sensors

Ok, this is a weird question. I'm looking for a super accurate angle sensor, like to two decimal points. If it integrates with hubitat, that's great. But if not, I just need to get data out of it and graph it over time/temperature.

I've noticed some interesting things in my house. Some nail pops in the basement, and a large built in cabinet thing which is tight to the ceiling in the summer separated by 1/2 inch or more in the winter. I'm trying to figure out why. I think I have an idea why, but I need a very accurate angle sensor that I can graph over time to help prove my idea. If I can prove it, I know how to fix it. But the fix isn't cheap and I don't want to just try it and have it not do anything.

I don't know of any "angle" sensors. If you are talking about tilt sensors, they are never going to be anywhere near that accurate. do you realize how small a change .01 degree is at say a foot? That's only 0.0021" per foot. That means, in order to move half an inch at a distance of 1 foot from the angle, you would have to move approximately 250 times that much. You are NEVER going to find a sensor that is that accurate for anything in the home automation space. That type of accuracy costs HUGE bucks.

Besides, tilt sensors detect that they are tilted, not by how much. You're not looking in the right place my friend.

What about a digital inclinometer? Seems like there should be something in the arduino world like that.

Are you sure there is a problem? What you described could be normal expansion of natural wood to humidity. The wood may shrink as in the winter you use heat that results in lower humidity.
Half inch changes in floor to ceiling cabinets would be normal.

Your why is incorrect.

Winter and summer humidity is the cause for this. You need to put a humidifier in your house where this is happening.

I don't have any advice on a device for you but you can try testing your basement with a heater and a portable air conditioner. Should be able to prove your theory in an afternoon.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.