Suggestions please for converting 3 switches for 2 lights

C7 2.3.3.140

I have two sets of lights in the kitchen. Ceiling lights and pendants over the island.

There are two switches at the right end of the kitchen and one switch at the left end.

I want the ceiling lights to stay controllable from both ends, simple on/off is fine. I also want the pendants to be controllable from both ends and dimmable.

I've used Zooz switches and dimmers before and like them. Their single gang double switch is an option on that left end.

I would like other options from the community, you might be aware of devices I'm not.

I don't think the Zen30 can be used in a wired 3-way.

Are the bulbs/fixtures smart or dumb?

The bulbs/fixtures are dumb. I will put Hue bulbs in the pendants for color options but won't control the smart bulb directly for on/off.

Yeah I read their documentation and it doesn't seem like that bottom switch can be wired three way, so I assume I'll have to replace all three switches with smart and then use button controller to make them do what I want.

Have you gone down the Lutron Caseta rabbit hole yet? A Pico remote would work perfectly in that single switch location where you can program the 5 buttons. I have the top and bottom control an on/off switch and middle round toggles a dimmer and the arrow buttons above and below the middle dim the dimmer. This does require a Lutron Caseta Pro hub.

I believe the Zen 30 could be used completely virtual. On the other side you would need Zen71/72's for the lights. Dimming is a bit of a pain with bulbs, just make sure you get ones that can do fade up/down commands and stop fade commands. Hue (any Zigbee/Zwave) bulbs should be fine for that. They would all need to be setup as virtual devices and the relays turned on if possible at all times.

Do you know where the power comes in and goes out to your fixture. That will effect how this goes.

1 Like

I've done Z-wave association from a ZEN34 battery operated switch to a GE/Jasco dimmer. I was able to on/off as well as dim (dumb led bulbs). It looks like a decora paddle type switch on the wall.

1 Like

Yeah I have a Lutron Pro Hub and do use Picos. But I still want the switch to work without a hub.

Pair the pico directly to the switch before adding the switch to the Lutron Hub. The pico will send commands straight to the switch rather than through the hub.

3 Likes

:point_up_2: Agree with @JB10 that Lutron can pair switches to Picos without hub.

Would it have to be a Lutron switch I pair the Pico to, or could I pair the Pico directly to a Zooz switch?

To pair a pico without either hub (Lutron or Hubitat), it has to be a Lutron switch/dimmer.

If you want to pair a pico to a Zooz switch, you would have to use the Hubitat as a go-between.

1 Like

Lutron uses a proprietary protocol (ClearConnect), so it can't connect directly to a z-wave switch.

ZW-to-ZW uses direct association, Zigbee-to-zigbee use zigbee binding, and Lutron uses ClearConnect, but those ecosystems can't talk directly to each other -- that's where a central controller (like Hubitat) comes in.