Suggestions needed to work around dumb ceiling fan wiring in a safe way

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated. I've worked w/3-way switches in the kitchen and never killed myself yet, but I get it, there's no reason to assume anything. I have a voltage tester and also a multimeter, so I always investigate and ensure I'm safe before proceeding. :slight_smile: My brother is a general contractor and worked a lot in electrical when he was younger so he's my "This won't kill me, right?" guy.

I started to open up the box where I believe the main switch is (if things are wired as they are w/my other 3-ways that this electrician set up) and when I did I ran into what may be a stopper on using the Inovelli fan/light switch or any smart switch. The switch box is unbeliveably crowded...I have two other GE smart switches in it already, and their bulk along w/all the wires and wire nuts for the three switches makes it difficult for even the existing dumb switch to fit. I could buy some space by replacing the middle switch, which is an older/larger form factor GE w/a newer/smaller form factor Honeywell I have.

Hmmm...this is remaining an annoying project.

Now I'm wondering if it would be best to just remove both dumb switches, wire things up so the light is always on, and put Picos in both spots using the Pico wall plate bracket and control the fan via the existing Bond integration, which I'm already using on one Pico on the living room coffee table. Easy way out, maybe...and as I've said many times, family LOVES Picos.

Iā€™m in Canada so not sure what the requirements are in your area, but based on volume of the box there is a limit to the number of wires and wire nuts that you can have. Also the power limits on switches gets reduced in ganged boxes compared to singles. Home Depot will have a simplified electrical guide available for your area for just over $10.

1 Like

put the pico in the location where its crowded and put the inovelli fan switch at the other location.

The pico doesn't take up any room at all.

1 Like

I thought about that, but then wondered why I would put it there for $69 (and have to install the receiver in the fan) when I can just put in a Pico in both spots for $12 each and control the fan via my Bond bridge. The Inovelli is very cool, but the more I think about it, it seems like I'm complicating things more than I need to.

Originally I didn't want to do something like above as I was concerned it was against code to have the fan always powered regardless of switch state. Since that turns out to be common practice, I'm not thinking of that as a blocker any more. Makes the simple Pico option very attractive, and family gets a consistent interface in all three spots.

2 Likes

I like your thinking. Doesn't make a lot of sense to purchase the inovelli if you are happy with the Bond Bridge.

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan! At least you know that you've looked at multiple options. The Picos will always be useful somewhere, even if you decide to make a change later.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments...I feel like I've turned in a giant circle. :wink: Thanks for all the help!

Two picos w/wall plate brackets are on the way! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very sorry to complicate your day

Not our intention.

2 Likes

LOL...not at all, you guys saved the day. Learned a bunch, and ended up w/a solution that will work very well for both family and for the limits to my setup. Appreciate your's and everyone's elses help very much. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Easy peasy, right?

1 Like

Easy as falling out of bed! :wink:

Follow the link post I posted above. It's easy and local control as well. Don't use the Lifx cloud API.

Just a quick post-script/thank you to all who helped. Done and done w/the Picos in the two switch locations.

Family is ecstatic (just a slight over-statement), they love the Picos. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.