Struggling to pick the right driver for Honeywell Z-Wave Plus Smart Dimmer

My house is filled with these Honeywell smart dimmers. But I'm having trouble picking the driver.

I first used the Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer driver. That worked well with the dashboard, but my only gripe is when I use a motion rule and set the light to X%, the light pops on to that brightness, it doesn't dim up.

Then I used the GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Smart Dimmer (My understanding is Jasco owns Honeywell and GE so they're the same switch with different boxes). This fixes my problem with motion lighting and dims up as expected, but the HE can't determine the state. On the devices page, and the device is off, I click on, the light comes on, but the switch status still says off. If I hit refresh, it changes the switch status to on.

I've been using this custom driver which seems to do both of what I want, and gives me the option of double tapping. But if I wanted to just use the native drivers, what would be my best option?

I have the same issue and am therefore using the same custom driver. @mike.maxwell is it possible for you to help us debug this, or could you please let us know what info you need from us to help?

To be clear, the custom/community driver has been working just fine for me so I don’t consider this urgent for me personally. It would be nice to use a built in driver but that is a ‘nice to have’ given how busy I’m sure everyone is.

Thank you!

Thanks for the quick reply, glad I'm not the only one. Right now I'm going back to all my GE Enbrighten lights and swapping them over to the custom driver, it's just time consuming with the configure and refresh.

Thank you!

Also of note - when using the built in driver Alexa responds to on/off commands with ‘I’m not quite sure what went wrong’ but with the community driver Alexa works correctly and as expected.

And the same for me too.

I'm biased since I wrote the driver, but I would use the user driver. It is also available in Hubitat Package Manager, if you use that, so is easy to keep up to date.

3 Likes

the correct inbuilt driver for the GE/JASCO/Honeywell 14994/zw3005 products is the Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer.

Edited for correctness

That's correct. On the device page, the switch status doesn't change with the on/off buttons until you hit refresh. The dashboard doesn't reflect the status of the dimmer's on/off status. Clicking the dashboard icon is hit or miss in terms of whether it turns the light on or off, and usually keeps the loading icon visible.

Hubitat dashboard

EDIT: This comment only applies to my Enbrighten driver and Motion Dimmer driver, not my non-Enbrighten GE/Jasco dimmer driver.

Side note, I'll also point out that how the default dimmer level is handled differs greatly between my user driver and the in-box Enbrighten driver. Just an FYI if you use that feature. Mine lets you set it independently from on/off/setLevel behavior.

The Hubitat way is probably more consistent between other in-box device drivers, but I hate how it works / it would require me to completely change my logic and workflow.

1 Like

I should also note that the GE Enbrighten driver doesn't seem to handle the double tap like Joel's custom driver does.
Edit: fixed typo

1 Like

Really? I thought the in-box driver did have double tap but did not have triple tap (as there is no triple tap capability in Hubitat)? I admit that I haven't looked at the in-box driver closely in a while though.

The in-box driver has the double tap buttons available in the device status, but my rule machine rule only works with your custom driver. I made a quick double tap rule, image below. It doesn't work with the GE Enbrighten driver, but I switched to yours and it works.

I'd recommend @JasonJoel's drivers - works perfectly for me on my dimmers and switches.

1 Like

Thank you for replying to the thread! Yes - that is the driver I was using.

Issue/bug:

• When using the inbuilt driver the device doesn't report status after being commanded on/off from the device page. If I hit 'refresh' or 'configure' after interacting with the the device, then status will update and show the correct status. However, the next time I command on/off via the device page, it will again not update the status correctly.
  • Reproduction steps: 1) Turn light on, and it still shows 'off' in the device page. 2) Hit 'refresh' and the device page updates to show that the light is on.

This happens about 70% of the time for me. I have 5 Aeotec Z-Wave 6 Repeaters, and my C5 is in the same room, about 15' from the dimmer. No other Z-Wave devices have any issues, and @JasonJoel 's driver solves the issue above, leading me to believe it's not mesh related. I am on a C-5 running 2.2.4.158 but these issues have been present going back to at least 2.2.2.

Nice to have:

• With the inbuilt driver - when the light turns on or off it comes on at the exact brightness selected, and any fade in/out options are ignored. @JasonJoel 's driver has the ability to do a 1 second fade in/out when turning on r off
  • With the inbuilt driver - when using Alexa skills to turn the dimmer on or off , commands such as "Alexa, turn on dimmer" are replied with "I'm not quite sure what went wrong" but the light will turn on or off as expected. @JasonJoel 's driver works with the Alexa skills properly, with her responding "Ok" as expected to operational commands.

Thank you!

ok, looking into this closer...
I was mistaken, the GE embrighten drivers are explicitly for the newer enbrighten devices.
With the generic zwave dimmer driver (which is currently best inbuilt fit) the ramp rate is explicitly ignored for GE devices, hence the "instant on". This shouldn't be the case as the device does support swichmultiLevel V2 commands.
So that update will be in platform 2.2.5.

Jason's driver probably has more options for the older GE/JASCO/Honeywell 14994/zw3005 models since it was specifically written for that device.

3 Likes

Thank you @mike.maxwell and @JasonJoel for all of your work in making sure our dimmers are working great. :slight_smile:

Happy lights, happy wife.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.