Strange thermostat behavior in Dashboard

I have an EcoBee, the HE integration works fine, and everything is working from the device page.

Now this definitely used to work, probably a few days ago. On my Dashboard, if I click either MODE or FAN MODE, nothing happens, and the temp is no longer adjustable.
If I refresh the page, then adjust the temp, the temp does adjust accordingly. But if I try clicking MODE or FAN MODE, again it does not work, and I can no longer adjust the temp (until page refresh)

You're in luck, we identified this issue earlier this morning (well, morning for me...). The driver needs to store the support modes and fan modes in a JSON array, with each mode wrapped in double-quotes.

So I updated my driver for Mitz AC units. When you say Ecobee, is that a built-in integration, or a Community developed one? Or perhaps the more relevant question is, are you able to provide a screenshot of the device current states like I did on the linked topic? To see if the modes are being stored correctly?

1 Like

I am also using two Ecobee thermostats and have thermostat tiles in my temp control dashboard. I am using the community Ecobee Suite Manager app and the device page for one of my thermostats shows this:

Not sure if this is a problem as I have to admit that I rarely utilize the tile to control the thermostat (mainly use it to monitor what is going on with the settings. In the driver code, all attributes seem to be delineated by apostrophes (‘) although standardTile States are delineated by quotation marks (“). Not sure if this is helpful (or if it even matters) but I am curious as for some reason my dashboard tiles do not always accurately reflect changes made at the thermostat.

From my experience this morning, the two attributes at the top of your screenshot, supportedThermostatFanModes and supportedThermostatModes, need to have the values enclosed in double-quotes, e.g.
["auto", "circulate", "off", "on"]
and
["off", "auto", "cool", "heat"]

In terms of any issues with changes being reflected on the tile, that may be something different, I'm not sure about what may be causing that.

1 Like

@storageanarchy , any thoughts or input on this thread? I am using your Ecobee Suite Manager (currently on 1.8.55). Thanks.

I'm using the built in Ecobee driver.

What platform version are you running?

I never considered using a community driver for Ecobee, but I see you have Circulate as a fan mode, I do not. If I want to run the fan through HE, I need to visit the device page and push the Fan Circulate button.
Am I reading this correct? You have a fan mode that allows running the fan and you can set this in dashboard?

I'm about to update to .122

I haven't seen anything mentioned in the latest release notes for 122, but it can't hurt to try before tagging support.

Was this perhaps a question for @moh ?

Not sure if this was a question directed to me but the reason I stuck with the community app was that 1) I was already using it when I became aware of the built-in option and 2) the community app had more options for control (although I really haven’t utilized the additional options at this time). I do not mean to jack the OP’s thread. Only interjected when I noted that the OP did not respond to @sburke781’s initial response to the OP (the second post in this thread).

To answer the OP’s question (if it was indeed directed to me), you can control the fan circulate by setting up a virtual switch on your dashboard which triggers a rule that uses the Actuator type to send a command to the thermostat device to set the fan to circulate. As far as I know, the native thermostat template (I only use the native Hubitat Dashboards, not any 3rd party ones) does not have this show up on the native thermostat template, so it would have to be added as a separate tile (I often overlap tiles to make them appear as one integrated tile in my dashboards).

Mind you, in all honesty, I have not set this up on my thermostat dashboard but @wogfun has got me thinking of making the modification for greater control. At this time, I only use HE to control my thermostats for doing things like turning heat/cool off if a door or window has been open for 5 minutes, or if we are planning to be away from the house for extended periods of time and there is no danger of heat or pipe damage (we do not get freezing temps where I live). I state this caveat as I have run a test and this works, but I have not yet actually incorporated this into my dashboard (there was another thread about another topic where someone stated as a fact that their solution solved a problem when they did not even actually own the device in question, and I do not want to be “that guy”, LOL). Anyway, hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thank you, yes the question was for you. You explained what I was asking perfectly.

I just updated and it still appears to be broken, but as long as it is on the radar I'm sure it will not be a problem for long.

thx guys

I forgot to mention... Do you get a command appear on the device page that allows you to set the supported modes and fan modes? There was one on the virtual thermostat which was one of the ways I troubleshooted the issue.

If there is one there you can update the values to include double quotes until an update is available.

@bravenel - thought I'd tag you on this one to see if it could get on the list for release hot fixes, if indeed we are interpreting it correctly, I e. that the supported modes and fan modes on the built-in Ecobee driver need quotes around them.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.