Strange Rule Machine 5.1 issue all of a sudden!

Hello Hubitaters!

Running C7 hardware with 2.3.8.140. Out of the blue, since at least a few days ago, my rule machine stopped working properly and I cannot figure out why. No hardware was changed, no other devices added, but somehow rules I had setup to turn closet lights on and off (plugged into V1 Iris switches) when contact sensors open and close (also V1 Iris contact sensors) no longer function (the switches got stuck in the on position. I removed the switches, re-paired them (and had an issue doing this because although they were recognized as having been removed they were stuck in pairing mode so I had to completely remove them and readd them manually to rule machine) but this did nothing. I then removed the contact sensors and re-paired them from scratch and also readded them to rule machine but again, the rule does not work. I did remove the broken triggers from rule machine, and I also checked the individual devices and see they do function as expected individually (contact sensors register being open and closed, and smart switches can be turned on and off with the dashboard). I am at a complete loss as to why all of a sudden the rules are not doing what they are supposed to do. Perhaps not coincidentally, also a few days ago my Tuya smart button's rule also stopped working altogether, but that's a topic for another post. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Forgot to add I also added fresh batteries in the contact sensors even though the old batteries still had juice in them, so it is not a battery issue...

UPDATE: I ended up deleting one of the rules (the one for turning lights on) and recreated it. When I tried to test it, it started working as it should have, both for the new rule and for the old rule to turn the lights off. I tested this by having the smart switch right next to the contact sensor which I open and close manually. HOWEVER, when I installed the smart switch back in the closet, only one of them worked properly, while the other one is once again inoperative. Could it be some sort of interference? I don't understand why this would be the case since it is still possible to turn the switch on and off via the dashboard, and the contact sensor still shows correctly when it is open and closed while at their original location...

UPDATE 2: the second smart switch (which was working properly when placed back at its original location when tested) stopped working too. Very strange.

UPDATE 3: out of the blue both closets started working properly following the rules. Wish I could know why the issue occurred though. Anyway, will continue reporting if the issue returns to try and narrow down what caused the issue in the first place. Thanks everyone!

Turn on all logging for these devices and rules and post some logs showing what happens when you open and close the contact sensors.

1 Like

I just went through this in my shop on a C5. My shop is almost entirely filled with Iris V1 devices. Motion, contact and plugs. I had a couple of the sensors go dead because I let the batteries go too long. These things last forever.

I had the same experience. After installing a good battery they would not rejoin and if I paired they would show that the previously connected device was found, but it would not actually connect it.

I found that I had to create a virtual switch and move all my rules to that, then delete the original switch and factory reset and then add it back. Even then it was a few tries before I got them installed back.

I think our V1 stuff is going to quit working on all platforms in the not too distant future.

As to your rule problem, @Alan_F suggestion is a good one. I have had no issues with my rules using the V1s.

OK, the large closet that had stopped working last night started working again this morning all of a sudden. Here is the log for when it worked this morning:

however, the small closet sensor is still not working properly. I removed the contact sensor, reset it, and re-paired it; after confirming it was working properly (registering as being open and closed) I readded to the rule and removed the broken trigger. I then manually open and closed the sensor and confirmed the small closet smart switch started working properly. However, as I placed the contact sensor at the door in its original position, the rule stopped working again. Here is the log of the rule working as I was physically getting closer to the closet to put the contact sensor back:

Once the sensor is placed back where it was, then the rule stops working, despite the sensor light blinking as it is open and closed. When this happens, there is ZERO activity from these devices (the contact sensor, the smart switch, and the rule on the log, so there is nothing to show for that. This sensor and switch combo had been there for a couple of years working perfectly until a few days ago. Thanks.

Sounds like you may have a bad device intermittantly spaming your mesh.