Strange mode switching on Moes Zigbee Smart Button/Scene Switch

I'm talking bout this switch

I got it working on the TUYA Scene Switch TS004F and so far the following modes work:

SINGLE PRESS
DOUBLE PRESS
HELD = LONG PRESS (although it's strange that the "held" trigger is only detected once the button has been released instead of while holding the button for 3s+ (issue#1)

Now, I noticed that when i TRIPLE PRESS the button it switches to a different mode!

Here you can see on the logs me switching between SCENE and DIMMER modes... (again, when triple pressing it)

Unfortunately when the button is in DIMMER mode, nothing works.. none of the button presses are detected. It actually got me confused for a bit when the button wouldn't work sometimes and then i realized I was accidentally switching between modes.

So,

1. Why do I have to "release" the button after a long press for the "held" gesture to be recognized. As opposed to the Sonoff switches, "held" works great.

2.What's the point in switching to Dimmer Mode if it does nothing? How can I stop it from going into Dimmer mode (to avoid switching to it accidentally)?

1. What's the point in switching to Dimmer Mode if it does nothing?

#learningEveryday

It's a strange decision of Tuya to not send an event when the button was pressed for more than 3 seconds, but only at the time when it is released

Here the 'held' type of button event is not the right one, but this is how it was implemented in the driver from the very beginning 1.5 years ago. If I change it from 'held' to 'released' now, it will break the existing automations for all those who are using the 'held' event at the moment. It should be possible to add an option / preference in the driver, although I consider this as a very low priority task.

This is hardcoded in the button firmware. Other TS004F devices will switch into dimmer mode by other key combinations.
There is no way to disable switching into the HE unsupported mode from the device itself. As a workaround, I could try to force back the 'scene' mode from the driver, as soon as the device reports it was switched locally to dimmer mode. I have added this at the end of my TODO list.. : )

alright thanks so much for clarifying these things

The triple-press thing -> dimmer is the biggest problem I see with this button... i can imagine users losing their mind when their buttons stop working lol

Thanks for your good work!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.