Stranded Zigbee Devices

If the device isn't sending messages, the hub can't have a problem with receiving messages from it. I would have thought that was obvious.

If it's a repeater and you don't have a strong mesh you could lose communication with other devices. And whenever you remove a Zwave repeater you should do a z-wave repair to deal with it. But the device can't cause you problems anymore if it's dead.

Still attempting to identify these “stranded devices” that are causing these latency issues with HE.
I did install 3 Luton Caseta devices ( 2 dimmers and a fan control) along with 6 Pico remotes.
I added the switches via Lutron Integrator but not the Pico’s. Could the Pico’s be the issue?

Picos are not Zigbee. If you didn't install them in Hubitat, how are you using them?

Thanks and that is what I assumed, just grabbing at straws at this point.
The Picos are just being used as remote switches, not active in any automation.

So they are paired through the Lutron App?

Look at your Zigbee devices strength. Maybe those devices belong to your neighbor.

Yes, paired and renamed via the app......and they are working fine.
I was told adding the Picos to HE was not necessary unless I planned to use them in automations which I don't plan to do at this time.

I have got to do some research on logs, troubleshooting etc. as I am in the early stages of using HE and I didn't have the need for troubleshooting the first 60 days or so.
How could a neighbors device, never been associated with my HE Hub impact this? Again, I'm still learning.

The ghost zigbee device must have at one time been joined to the hub. You won't get interference or traffic from neighbors devices.

Ok, thinking about this a bit.
You may be able to do the following to at least find out a bit more about these zigbee devices.
I haven't tested this out, but it worked pretty well in my head.

Add a new zigbee device, it does not matter what it is.
Factory reset this device, do not delete it from Hubitat.
Replace the driver with the built in driver "Device"
Edit the Device Network Id, replace it with the Zigbee id of one of the orphaned devices you see in the logs.
After clicking save device, open a live logging window and click the get info command in the driver.
You should see some data that may help you identify the device.

This is not a long term solution to resurrect these devices, when a zigbee device receives a new 16 bit address, we then use the 64 bit address shown in the driver so we can update the 16 bit address.
This means if your orphaned device changes its 16 bit address, it will just be orphaned yet again...

6 Likes

A very MacGyver solution Mike! :+1:

2 Likes

How do you locate these orphaned devices ? Bobby says I had 2 stranded devices in my system. Would like to see if I got them removed or if they are still haunting me.

Go into settings/Zigbee details and compare Zigbee logging to your Zigbee radio devices. Any device not matching between the 2 lists is questionable and should be look at. The logging could take a while depending on how large your device list is. http://hub ip/hub/zigbeeInfo

OK, so I think these stranded devices must go back to when the Hue bulbs were showing as both Hue connected and HE connected. I think my best solution is to just clear HE and start over. Not looking forward to the process but feel this is my only solution.
Is the process just a simple HE reset and start all over?

If this is a case of Hue lights that were connected to HE, wouldn't it be quicker, easier and way less disruptive to temporarily remove those lights from the Hue bridge and add them to HE. They should be picked up by the HE hub, where you can delete them. I would certainly try it before going to a wipe.

It seems like downloading a backup of the database, doing a soft reset, and then restoring from the backup should fix that.

@mike.maxwell you sir are a genius. I have a Ghost device I have been pulling my hair out tonight to track down. Tried what you had posted and it showed me that it was an Iris 3210-l outlet. I then configured it as a generic outlet and hit configure then saved the preferences and then hit on and off a couple times. My Son called me over to figure out why his game was turning on and off. I have reset the plug and expect things are now back in good order.

2 Likes

I have some stranded devices as well. I also use the Iris smart plug. I have my Zigbee logs running right now. i'll leave it open for a few hours (maybe longer) and see what happens. So far, everything on the log has a name (the name I assigned to it). I imagine the minute I see something pop up without a name, I've found my culprit.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I seem to have 3 null devices listed in http://HUB_IP/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

I can't seem to figure out how to get them removed, or if they are actually causing any negative issues. Does anyone have any more info on this problem? Support really has been of no help

For Zigbee devices, don't worry about it - they will just disappear from your network in time.

{Sorry, I just gave you instructions for Zwave devices not Zigbee; my apologies}

Unfortunately, you have to use the Windows program from Silicon Labs, called "Zwave PC Controller 5". You also need a Zwave controller on a USB stick, for example the Zooz ZStick or the AeoTec USB Stick.
In that program, you have to:

1. by using add zwave devices on Hubitat + Network Wide Inclusion on your PC, pair the USB Stick (it's easier if the PC and Hubitat are close to one another for this step)
  2. you have to see what device id's on the PC are not in Hubitat
  3. in the PC program mark those devices for removal, and actually remove them.
  4. in the PC Program, use NWE (Network wide exclusion) + Zwave exclusion on the Hubitat to remove your USB stick

There are more instructions somewhere on the forum.