STILL Wonky ZigBee again! 2.3.3.140 C7

Well I changed to 25. I also did a rescan of the area for wifi channel interference. From our APs there is nothing coming from 11 and as far as congestion (There is a LOT) it seems that the least is coming from 11. This will give me the best fighting chance as far as that goes. Now to start playing with potential hub location changes.

I have had a logging window open for a while now and my numbers are starting to drop into the low to mid 70s.

Sideband interference is almost never a problem unless it's coming from your own ap's as the signal drops off at an inverse square with distance from the source. Add in a few walls and the sideband lobes really shouldn't be an issue, even on a congested main wifi 1, 6, or 11.

Time to get some powered repeaters and you should be rock solid. I'd recommend some Inovelli Blue as soon as they are off backorder. I ordered a couple for myself.

1 Like

I have a bunch of Kasa wifi wall plugs. My initial plan of attack was getting 4 Sonoff s31 plugs to replace key ones around the house. That's the current state of things. I guess I'll get more.

I have some double outlets that I use for lamps that are right next to each other. Looks like I could use these to replace them.

Checked logging again and I'm still solid in the mid 70s. I WAS in the high 80s

@lewis.heidrick would you be willing to do an external antenna mod for the right price? I have been wondering around the house and just can't see a better spot for the hub without having to do a bunch of extra work with wiring and running cable. Would be awesome to sit it in the same location with an external antenna mounting to the side of the rack.

Of course. The parts are at the bottom of this site. Just need the antennas, pigtails and connectors. You can buy them and send them or I can buy them and ship them directly to me so it saves you some on postage. I don't charge for my time, just cover parts and shipping.

1 Like

Just let me know which way you want to go. I just did about twenty of them and used up all the ones I had left on hand.

1 Like

I guess first of all I should check that it's a viable option to have a remote mounted antenna instead of just coming directly off the case.

If you get the magnetic one in the link I posted it will work fine.

1 Like

Excellent! I think I may get my new rack completed first, then get some more repeaters, then probably reassess the situation.

Since things technically improved, money is not super heavy flowing right now, and I'm kinda wrapped up in other projects

@jeff11 got the magnetic mount a couple of weeks ago.

1 Like

Same here, I just blew about 4k on my home lab.

1 Like

Love the cleanliness of the mount! Is that for both radios?

Yes

1 Like

That's what I'm talking about! Clean and consolidated! My OCD will get plenty of triggering during the current rework as it is.

1 Like

Works great and well worth it.

@markbellkosel84
One further comment about repeaters.
I recently did (as a test), the conversion of the Sonoff Dongle from coordinator to router.

(Thanks, @danabw ! and @Ken_Fraleigh ).
They improved my lasthopRSSI by over 25% when compared with the Sonoff S31 Lite!
Aesthetically speaking, they must be hidden, but they certainly work well!
Also, a key point to note is that since the transmit power of these things is very good, it makes sense to put them near to the sensors whose signal you want to repeat, not half way in between the hub and the sensor.

1 Like

It can be set up to 20dbm with the firmware released to the develop repo earlier today. Unfortunately, I couldn’t install it because it kept erroring out (using the TI software). I’m hopeful this will be fixed soon. I think the newer dongle E defaults to 20.
I would still put them about halfway between the hub and the devices because the transmission numbers have to be good enough for devices to choose to route through them.

I was going to comment on the S31 lite plugs. From what I've read they're not great repeaters, kinda on the weak side. Since doing the antenna mod, my zigbee & z-wave are greatly improved and only occasionally freak out, as in un-removable z-wave ghosts, and zigbee offline messages

2 Likes

The only thing I dread about getting the mod done is the hassle of combining the hubs temporarily and then having to undo it again.

before tackling the hub yourself, try practicing on some junk electronics(old router?), using Lewis's instructions, especially around desoldering technique. If you have steady hands, good eyes and the right tools it is doable.
SH72 iron w/ pointy tip ~20 USD
Solder 5 USD
Flux 5 USD
Desolder wick 3 USD.

I've been soldering for years, and did my C5 first to be sure.
In any event the tools come in handy and you'd be surprised at all you can repair with simple soldering skills and youtube !

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.