STILL Wonky ZigBee again! 2.3.3.140 C7

I just don't get it! This has been happening more often:

Totally unresponsive ZigBee network. Out of the blue. Channel 26 to reduce WiFi overlapping. One mains powdered device a bunch of battery devices and a handful of Sengled bulbs. Fiddling with powering down, power cut, and cycling ZigBee in settings seems to fix it but not reliably (sometimes doesn't change it)

I'm not really sure what I'm looking at in the ZigBee logs but when I get activity back I do notice most devices say -88 behind them (or something close to that). I also get several sequential entries for several devices which seems odd. Maybe this is just the network settling?

I just wish I could get this under control. I hate my ZigBee network just seems either 100% or completely out. Zwave on the other hand is 1000% solid with minor minor differences in response times but never totally crashes like this. I know that's apples to oranges but I think I get my point across.

Do you get Zigbee offline notification? If you do, plase send me your hub id again, we are investigating the Zigbee offline incidents.

I don't! Wish I did honestly but I don't. Makes it further perplexing.

I literally stood in front of my main hub on laptop and yelled "I wish you knew you weren't working instead of me finding out the hard way!" :rofl:

Would be happy to throw my id at you if it will be useful in some way. I love when I can definitely point my finger and say THAT'S the problem. If I can help with that in anyway I will.

What is your ratio of repeaters / non-repeaters, including Sengled bulbs?

We can take a look to see if we can spot something in your engineering logs, but based on the details you shared, it might just be a case of severe interference, or some bad players in your mesh.

1 Like

4 SmartThings buttons
6 SmartThings contacts
1 SmartThings outlet
3 Sengled Element Color Plus bulbs
1 Sengled LED bulb
1 Sengled Element Classic bulb

You need more repeaters. You have one repeater for 15 end devices.

My experience is that a ratio of 1:4-6 works really well.

3 Likes

One repeater supporting that many end devices is not enough. I wouldn't do more than 6 non-repeaters / repeater.

2 Likes

I was beginning to wonder if that was the case. Same as Zwave where mains power (not bulbs) are repeaters?

1 Like

Yes.

Most zigbee bulbs are also repeaters. Sengled bulbs are not - by design.

1 Like

I went with Sengled though since I heard they play the nicest.

2 Likes

@markbellkosel84 .... That doesn't mean you should add bulb repeating devices, as then you might run into other troubles.

2 Likes

So it looks like I need to add 2 properly placed repeaters and cross my fingers

1 Like

If I can make a suggestion, these are terrific repeaters. Small, very reliable, and support 7-10 devices easily.

I would recommend adding two of them. They’re about $15 on AliExpress.

Tuya Mini ZigBee 3.0 Signal Booster Signal Repeater.

2 Likes

I'm confused about the USB form factor. Does it plug into a wall block like one for a phone charger?

1 Like

Yup. Or the back of a TV (as long as the USB port is always powered).

Here’s the AliExpress link:

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256804277232493.html

2 Likes

I was actually thinking about replacing a couple of my Kasa plugs with one of these.... thoughts on which? Not sure what the difference is between the two Sonoff models.

1 Like

I have no experience with them. But I’ve heard they’re good.

Also Sengled makes one that also does power monitoring/reporting. About the same price.

These -

https://a.co/d/aHdBlEq

2 Likes

Oh! I really like that idea.