Stick-on smart switch?

I am in a rented house, and hence do not want to take out old switches to replace with smart switch yet. Are there any interim options for me, where I can stick/cover any type of smart switch on top of existing switches, so that people do no turn off the light, and instead get a smart switch?

The third reality switches work pretty well. They sit over the top of the existing dumb switch.

That link includes a hub, but it works directly with the HE hub, they are zigbee devices. The amazon link for a switch only, all showed not available.

1 Like

This looks very interesting! ...now let me check its availability in Canada :confused:

Oops my apologies did not read your post fully.. the Zen34 is a standalone device... deleted my prior post to avoid confusion.

This is confusing to read.

May I suggest you refer to a device that pairs to Hubitat but is not wired to a lighting load as a button, a device that is wired to a lighting load but no radios as a dumb switch, and a device that is both wired to a load and has a radio to pair with Hubitat as a smart switch?

These terms are somewhat standardized here, and they’re more specific so others will have a better chance of understanding what you’re asking.

Edit: for completeness’ sake, a bulb without a radio in it to pair with Hubitat is a dumb bulb, and a bulb that can pair with Hubitat is a smart bulb.

2 Likes

Sorry for my possibly incorrect wording. Let me try to rephrase - I have a smart bulb(sengled bulb). Currently it is connected to a dumb switch, hence people may turn it off from that dumb switch out of habit. I am looking for a "button", which I can put/install over my dumb switch, without the need for me to first physically remove the dumb switch.

1 Like

The options for installing a button directly on top of a dumb switch (but not flipping the switch itself) aren’t exactly phenomenal, last time I checked.

Are these standard toggle switches, or rocker/decora switches?

If they're toggles, you could use these Aurora Dimmers.

There were a number of plate covers that allowed you to mount Hue dimmers over existing switches, but Hue recently made an updated version of the dimmer, and I don't see any evidence of adapters made for the V2 dimmers.

I have usually just put switch covers over the existing switches so no-one will use them, and stuck hue dimmers on the wall next to the real switch. Here are the covers I've used:

For rocker switches:

For toggles:

4 Likes

Mine are toggle switch (something like this - https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/smartthings/original/2X/5/5ac658b32161878f98591deaa981a53f67d96f8d.png)

1 Like

I think this is a good stop-gap. These might have to do for now. Thanks!

1 Like

+1 for that option. It will cover OP’s toggle switches to prevent others from flipping the dumb switch, and allow for control of the smart bulb via Hubitat.

1 Like

I have used these type in the past, and they are a little cheaper. If you were in the states I would send you some if you payed postage. I switched out all my smart bulbs but I still have a few of these in a bin in my shop.

2 Likes

Those are a good option, cuz when the automation fails, oh it will, you can still turn on the light.

I like these.. magnetic and stylish..

Magnetic Light Switch Guards,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J6HF9T6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like