Static IP a necessity for MakerAPI? Is there more documentation for the MakerAPI or networking setup?

Hi Folks, I’m relatively new to the hubitat ecosystem but have been writing home automation software since the early 2000’s in one form or another. I am currently attempting to implement the MakerAPI protocol as a plugin for our HA software but I have very basic questions so please forgive :wink: It seems there is no way to give the hubitat a static IP address? Except to setup a DHCP reservation in the router? I get the impression that this is to reduce support problems with people setting it incorrectly or on the wrong subnet or something but how can you make something that reliably connects with the MakerAPI without being able to rely on what the IP address is? I see that it registers hubitat.local or hubitat.lan but the very first person I’m working with on this has 2 hubs with one being linked to the master one. So what names do they use if there is more than one? You can’t just rely on zeroconf to always give the master the one without an index, thats timing dependent and will not work. Is there any documentation for such things beyond the extreemly limited couple of pages with no complex examples for sending commands at all? I would love to see both more documentation for advanced network setup as well as the MakerAPI. If it’s here already please drop me a link if it’s not perhaps I should open a ticket somewhere or something. I really do not want to have to provide support for peoples routers to help them to setup a dhcp reservation. It would be much better if there was an actual interface to setting up a static ip in the device itself.

Hi james8 and welcome to the community!

You’re not the first to ask the question about static IP. DHCP is indeed the only way to go as it cannot be setup on the device.

1 Like

Then I suppose I will let people enter the IP address as normal but have it default to hubitat.local and hope they are smart enough to setup a dhcp reservation if they have more than one or a more complex setup. Thank you for the confirmation I’ll stop worrying about it for the moment!

I did finally get just simple setting of colors working through the MakerAPI just now, but that appears to only be documented in the response to questions others are asking about it? Can I download the app code somewhere? Perhaps there are comments? :wink:

1 Like

Glad I could help!

I know nothing about MakerAPI unfortunately, so will leave that one to someone else in the community to answer... :grinning:

For MakerAPI, there are some good resources on this forum.

e.g.:

Official documentation: https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Maker_API

New features where I'm sure you could ask questions: Maker API New Features

2 Likes

No. Code for built-in apps and drivers is not publicly available.

1 Like