Standard way to handle device animated Scenes/Lighteffects for use with Hubitat Apps

I have a Integration that supports over a hundred devices with RGBIC capabilities. All of my drivers that support their definition of scenes use the LightEffects capability. These devices never show up in RM or any light device related app as being able to set the light effect.

When I look at the only other device I have that supports animated lighting, Wiz Bulbs, they have a custom command that seems to be recognized. That custom command appears to use a enumerated parm that shows all of the available scenes for that device. I can't do that because the scenes in my case change based on the attached device and the drivers are not exactly model specific, but feature specific to the device being attached.

I have had a few users ask recently specifically about better ways to integrate this with Hubitat built apps and this seems to be a big gap. Looking for advice on potential solutions if there is something specific that needs to be done to support light effects being recognized within the Hubitat apps.

I hope someone at @support_team can help and clarify best practice for these kind of integrations

1 Like

I'm not sure why Wiz does it that way, but I think capability "LightEffects" is the best/standard way to do this. It's a bit of a niche capability (though certainly not as much as an entirely custom command...) in that I'm not aware of any app that looks for it specifically, but everything you need should be included as part of this capability for anyone who wants to.

Not sure what other apps you're looking at, but you can absolutely use Rule Machine for this by using a "Custom Action" (and proving the right effect number as a parameter foenthe command).

I agree that is the way to do it. I do use that effect in all of the drivers, but I don't think it is as much of a niche as it use to be. I think having a way that works with RL, RM, and whatever else to actually trigger something called light effect or scene, is missing or the proper way isn't known.

Totally understand this, and it is how I advise users of the integration, but I don't think that is a great long term solution. Especially if more devices come around that have Light effect functions. It falls into just because it works doesn't make it the right way it should be done in my mind. What I am really wanting confirmation on is since Hubitat has built in support for Wiz Bulbs and potentially other wifi smart bulbs with scenes/light effects what is the correct method to get those automated scenes into Hubitat. Perhaps I am even asking for consideration of Light effects control and recognition to be added to RL, RM, and other built in light control apps. HE should be able to recognise and control them as described without having to go through the janky Custom Action option that though it works isn't a great user experience.