ST to HE migration plan questions

What does Blue Iris integration do for you? I'm familiar with the software. Motion sensors from cameras? Does it work well?

Yep, I have 10 cameras that report motion to ST and I use to trigger all sorts of things. Mostly turning on lights. I have reverse also where contact sensors on doors trigger PTZ cameras to swing to that door. I currently use webcore to trigger my BlueIris modes when I want them to change.

My biggest piston takes input parameters from a python program on my BI server that runs the images through a web API that looks for people and cars. Reports that info via arguments into WebCore and then I use the logic in there to notify me...that will be the last endeavor for sure.

3 Likes

I wonder if Hubitat's new Maker API might make this integration simpler? Just an idea. I haven't used it yet, but it seems like something worth looking into.

Simpler...probably not. More direct...very possibly...I was thinking that would be the route I'd end up at in the end with virtual motion detectors and a direct request from BI server to HE.

2 Likes

Good to hear! I'm down to only 3 physical devices left to move over. Would have finished migrating devices today but these 3 are zigbee devices that I can't get to pair with HE yet. Going to try changing the zigbee channel. Got Life360 set up for my wife and I today, MyQ Lite up and runnning, and my 3 TP-Link outlets. I've created 32 Rule Machine apps too, to replace about 10 webCoRE pistons lol...it takes some creativity to match some of the functionality of webCoRE.

Still need to figure out what to do about Harmony, Honeywell Thermostat, and Google Home TTS capabilities, and get Pushover working.

One thing that's been a life saver for helping with more complicated Rule Machine automations is the virtual switches with the auto-off capability. I love that.

Nice progress! Congratulations!

For now, this is the best Harmony Hub integration solution that I have found. It has been incredibly reliable. Just don't remove your SmartThings-Harmony integration, as the keys from that one are 'borrowed' by this one. They need to stay valid!

I created a simple Device Driver to work with the Google Home Assistant Relay nodejs server running on a Raspberry Pi. It uses 'Broadcast" messages to all of your Google Home devices.

And I wrote the original Pushover Driver for Hubitat, which has now been added to the Hubitat Firmware as a native integration. Here's some useful information about setting it up. No need to use the driver from this thread. Just use the built-in one.

Pushover is 5 mins work, with most of that spent signing up for an acct on their site. The end result is a pair of Keys: Your User Key, API Token/Key that get pasted into the Pushover Virtual Device. That's it, you're done.

OK, done except for using that device :smiley: in some Rules.

1 Like

Thanks for the links. Will try to tackle Harmony and your TTS tomorrow.

Got Honeywell TCC working through a couple of virtual switches and IFTTT.

Set up Pushover, I love the different priority notifications. Got two devices added, one high priority that will ring through DND on my phone, and one standard priority that will not. This is what I always wanted from ST! :sunglasses: I got tired of getting woken up by "hub offline" notifications.

1 Like

Just be aware that my current Google Assistant Relay Driver is only compatible with v1 of the assistant-relay nodejs server. I haven't had time to work on the changes to support the new v2.

I forked the assistant-relay github repo before the author made v2 the master. If you want the v1 version, you can grab it from here GitHub - ogiewon/assistant-relay: A Node.js server that allows for sending commands to Google Home/Assistant from endpoints

I also have a MS Word Document that I made for myself with all of the detailed instructions to get it up and running. PM me your email address if you'd like a copy.

1 Like

Made a ton more progress today. Only things left on ST are three webCoRE automations for slowly fading some dimmers over a 30 minute period. I don't think I'm going to be able to recreate these in RM...gotta think about them for a bit.

Other than that, I'll keep ST up just for Harmony keys, Google Home integration, and app control until the HE capabilities are there.

Did you leave the Dimmers on ST or move them over and then use Other Hub to create virtual?

Other Hub/virtual. I'm trying to get creative with some rules and virtual devices. Might be able to come up with something.

I was able to recreate the piston above in RM, so all my device automations are now on HE :slight_smile:

I ended up removing Harmony from HE, I don't want to maintain and sync it in two places and I don't have a good way to get instant status updates in HE, where I do in ST. The only thing I need to know for my HE automations is if either of my two hubs has an activity running, so I created a virtual switch that gets turned on by ST whenever an activity is on, and used that to run my automations in HE.

Harmony instant updates, Google Home, and one IFTTT webhook that uses webCoRE as an intermediary are the only things stopping me from shutting off my ST hub now.

Curious... What is your method to receive instant updates in ST for Harmony Activity changes initiated from the Harmony remote control?

Harmony can control ST devices. So after the Connect app created the virtual switches in ST, I authorized Harmony to control them, then added each activity switch to it's activity in Harmony. Then when the activity is started with the remote it turns it's own switch on in ST. Same with when the activity ends, it turns it's own switch back off.

2 Likes

Ahhh! Very creative! Thanks for the information.

1 Like

I remember looking at something like this in ST a while back but thought it was broken. I'll give it a shot again when I get home.

Lol....I just searched the ST forum for Instant Updates and guess who I found in the post I was referencing above...Cookie Monster aka @destructure00. I thought your name was familiar.

So just my luck, I think I read your ST post right around the time the Harmony servers were giving trouble. Had I checked back a few weeks later , I would have seen that they resolved the 2xcommand issue. Thanks for bringing it over to HE.

@halfrican.ak, you might want to look at this option for instant updates well.

1 Like

Yeah there was a week or two period where things were weird. It worked well before then, and has worked well since then too. I did add a 2 second delay between an activity shutting off and updating the Other Hub switch, I have seen on occasion when switching activities that one switch will turn off before the other one turns on. I'm using the 2 second wait as a buffer period to keep some lights from shutting off and then turning back on.

In my post about "instant updates" workaround, I believe I noted that I have already used this method. My goal was to completely get away from ST, which my method has achieved. My method also allows up to 100 different virtual switches based on the dimmer level which could have benefits depending on the goal.

That being said, yes this a reliable method for anyone who doesn't have Lutron Caseta integration and/or a Caseta smart plug they want to sacrifice solely for this purpose. The biggest disadvantage of leaving the ST hub in the mix is the reality that you can't disable the zigbee network which is a waste of precious 2.4ghz channel availability.

2 Likes