ST hubs

So my local Home Depot has smartthings hubs on clearance for $25. I was tempted to buy them but I can't find a user for them.

I have one which still has a couple WebCore Pistons running on.

Any ideas how these could be used?

A little expensive, but very satisfing, an alternative to "clay targets"?White Flyer Biodegradable Clay Targets Free Shipping on Orders over $45 from Als.com!

1 Like

Link? I don't see where they even carry the V2 hub anymore.

BTW, you don't need a hub for WebCore pistons. I have 5 pistons running right now and my hub is unplugged. All your webCoRE actions take place in the cloud.

1 Like

Good point.

I'm using WebCoRE in the ST cloud as a Watchdog for my hub so I can tell if it's locked up or still working. Every 5 minutes, HE calls a ST WebCoRE IFTTT link and ST WebCoRE resets a watchdog timer I've built. If its locked up, I get a text message. Don't even need any virtual devices.

1 Like

I have a ST v2 for sale.
Couple with a 2 E27 bulha from Ikea. No use for White bulha only.
:stuck_out_tongue:

I have a ST v2 I am going to throw in the trash tomorrow on cleanup day. Wouldn't stick someone with that by selling it to them for any amount of $.

1 Like

Based on everyone's replies, I'm not there only one that finds little value in the ST hub.

The only thing I can think of is to have a separate Zigbee network from my Xiaomi devices. But then I wouldn't want it cloud based.

I bought the same thing to to update the firmware of my ST devices.
Fixed my button...

Would be interesting to see if it's hackable and a custom firmware could be loaded.

Nah, sell it and get another HE for Xiaomi. Works great.

They are useful for updating firmware on their devices. More so now with Iris going away soon.

1 Like

I would be interested in this could you share your setup and piston/s

Yeah. I'm going to have to re-deploy mine, just to join devices to it to upgrade firmware, and then consign it somewhere else. It's extremely tedious.

-- Jules

1 Like

It is my hope that someday Hubitat will build in firmware update capabilities. My ST hub won’t be going anywhere soon. I’ll still be using it to get Ring and Arlo integrates into Hubitat into those can be supported natively.

1 Like

If you are in the US and use the Alexa app you can get Ring motion and doorbell alerts into HE without the need of ST. See thread below....it's near instant response time.

1 Like

:point_up: this works extremely well! It has been rock solid for my Ring doorbell.

Sure. First, the pistons from the ST Webcore. I have 3 but you could probably do it with less.
The first receives the webcall from HE.
Untitled

The second checks when the last time I received the webcall.

Untitled%202

And the third sends a notification that the hub is offline and then send one that it is online when it comes back.

Untitled%203

Then using the link generated by the first piston, I set up a repeating Trigger in RM to call the URL every 5 minutes. It's that simple.
Untitled%204

2 Likes