ST forum, has activity subsided?

I recently switched to Hubitat and have migrated everything over. Now I'm checking this site for ideas and watching activity of other DIYers and the devs.

I also started regularly checking the ST community forum.

Has anyone else noticed that the activity here is higher than over at the ST forum?

2 Likes

Only so many outages a person will endure before looking for something else... There have been so many converts recently from ST...

7 Likes

I think many people are making the move from ST to HE. For many years my ST was great, with a few exception. But the last year and especially the last few months, ST has let me down. I had been looking into HE for a year or so, and finally got fed up with ST and made the move less than a month ago. WebCore was great, but running programs locally has sped up activation and eliminated glitches. Having everything run locally except my Alexa voice activation has been great. Slight learning curve, but otherwise migration was fairly smooth.

4 Likes

Now that's funny!! I still get the outage emails and smile every time I see one.

Yeah, I think this is a combination of both the sale at the end of 2019 and likely folks being fed up with the outages. I do miss their old Android app, though. And as much negative feedback as the new app is getting.....I think it's getting there.

3 Likes

I was extremely upset with the move from ST classic to the new app. Removal of routines from the old app forced me to move all of my automations to WebCore. Having everything cloud based was the last straw.

1 Like

Not to mention the high level of compatibility, code wise, has made the transitions to HE easy for most...

1 Like

I think that @srwhite's HubConnect has made the transition easier.

For me, it lets me leave my two cloud integrations on ST. I don't really need one of the two (MyQ) and in a few months will replace the other with a local HE solution.

2 Likes

It sure made it easier for me. I still have one ST hub in my shop but will at some point replace it with another HE hub. I have everything in the house switched over now and have been pretty happy so far. The more I learn the better it gets.

I was hit by the outages at ST's about every two weeks. It would start with devices showing offline and then hub_disconnected errors on others. Shortly after that I would get the outage email. I am glad that I made the move.

2 Likes

The only reason I keep mine around is to run Echo Speaks. I have 13 Echos on my ST hub and can use them with HE thanks to the speech synthesis driver in @srwhite 's awesome HubConnect app. ES allows me to have finer control over some Alexa functions as well, such as do not disturb, which is also very nice to not wake up to a spinning yellow circle, or my kids announcing stuff, after working until 7a.m.

3 Likes

Is this the same?

2 Likes

Yup. Works on HE but there are sporadic reports of slowdowns associated with ES. So I can understand why @Ken_Fraleigh prefers to run that on the ST cloud. I considered that for a while, but AlexaTTS meets my needs sufficiently.

3 Likes

Yes it is. It works great, and has a built in "actions" app. I use it for notifications straight from HE, and I also have some synced devices that trigger actions in the ES app. I like that I can just type a message into the HC driver and have one of the echos speak it. Although that is usually just for messing with my youngest :wink:

2 Likes

If you miss the ST app, why don't you keep it?

That is, after all your devices and HA rules are on Hubitat, why don't you use HubConnect to "mirror" your devices to a (fresh copy without any devices) ST Hub.
That way, you can still use the app for local control of your devices.

2 Likes

Except it would be through the cloud (slow) and unavailable when the ST cloud is down. All custom drivers and apps are cloud-based on ST.

1 Like

You could always use a dashboard in downtime. :slight_smile: I may end up doing that, actually...

1 Like

Not an iPhone user I take it. Nothing wrong with that. It’s just that I have become spoiled by using Dan’s Homebridge integration. It seems to be local unless I ask Siri to do something, then it needs the cloud.

2 Likes

Oh, no—that’s an even better idea! HomeKit used to be on my list but it appears to have been bumped off.

1 Like

Homekit is excellent, and @dan.t has done an exceptional job at migrating @tonesto7 code to use both MakerAPI and HubConnect.

I can't think of any reason to avoid giving it a try.. unless of course, you have no Apple gear :smiley:

2 Likes

In all honesty who really cares ? We use a cheap hub...

1 Like

What dashboard are you speaking of? Just making sure I've haven't missed anything.