Speedup motion sensors?

Maybe you could reconsider the placement of the sensor, so that it sees you sooner.

Interesting. I'll give this a go.

Thanks

I thought about this. But only option would be the hallway and that would result in it constantly turning on.

I have Hue, Fibaro, Samotech and Xiaomi/Aqara motion detectors.
I have found the Xiaomi/Aqara ones to be the fastest for detection. I'd be surprised if you find anything faster to be honest.
As for speeding them up, I don't think there is a way to do that.

Think about putting a 'tube' around the 'eye' of the sensor to reduce its field of view... then when you mount it outside of the bathroom, have it more or less pointing down at the doorway threshold.

Centralite made the Iris v2 Zigbee motion sensors and I use one of those over a kitchen sink with a piece of white electrical tape formed into a tube and extending out beyond the front of the sensor body. Only when someone walks TO the kitchen sink does that light come on. It is mounted at the wall ceiling junction and behind the sink, and points down. You have to be within about a foot of the sink to trip it. If you stand at the sink, there's an island 30" behind you and a range 20" beside you. Working at either does not trip the motion sensor.

44%20PM

6 Likes

@siriannic These are great sensors and fast. A good alternative if you have no luck getting Iris is the Sylvania Lightify. Although they were $25 for a long time and are now expensive. Maybe cheaper can still be found elsewhere. Also made by Centralite and also work well with the clever tube trick I first heard about from @mike.maxwell.

If you want some small, fast, long battery life Iris v2 (3326-L) motion sensors, this ebay seller has been great to work with over the past year or so. Under $6 per sensor (or even less if you "Make an Offer" that is reasonable, like $50)

4 Likes

I have the same issues. Sometimes 5 or more seconds to trigger. I used Iris v2 but had too many drop outs and issues, including slow response at times. Ended up using Xiaomi's exclusively which work well but often with a delay too, as per your experience. My diagnosis is it's poor hub peformance, as recognised by countless posts on this forum. We hope for a resolution one day from the Hubitat team. Rebooting the hub on a regular basis is an, albeit imperfect, solution.

1 Like

I have been using Iris v2s for a while along with Iris Smart plug repeaters and a customized/stripped down version of Lights On Motion Plus app. I use these in hallways and stairways to increase lighting level as people walk through and then dim/turn off when they leave (based on mode). This setup produces INSTANT response and I’ve never had any slowdowns of other issues with it.

You can imagine that when you walk through the house and lights don’t turn on instantly, you will notice. Even a half-second delay is very noticeable. I imagine the delay for my setup is consistently in the “barely-noticeable” range, maybe 200ms max.

What you need is a fast sensor (like the Iris V2), a strong mesh with fast repeaters like the Iris Smart Plugs, and a good fast app with not a lot of logic. I discovered that different more complicated apps sometimes produce longer delay. Also, if you have a lot of other complicated automations running at the same time, it might slow things down.

3 Likes

Same here with Iris 3210-L outlets acting as repeaters for many Iris 3326-L motion sensors. Everything works and is near instant.

1 Like

@siriannic How you activating the lights after detecting motion? Is it an RM4 rule or Simple Lighting?

RM4 is neat and all, but it's also has about 300ms response time. So give the sensor ~50ms, the lights ~50ms to reply, this means you're up to 400ms after detection. Humans can perceive 400ms without a problem and it'll feel laggy.

Simple lighting is about 100ms, so it should be about 200ms to turn on lights and will feel a lost faster.

Groovy apps are just a lot faster. I wanted something faster than RM4, more complicated than simple lighting, but the motion lighting app I couldn't make work right. So I wrote my own, so if you want an adventure you can try my PlugableLights. GitHub - as-j/PlugableLights

1 Like

@asj thanks for the info.

These are the details I was looking for. haha.

I am using motion lighting app for most of the sensors. The Bathroom I am discussing here is motion app.

Thanks so much for the link. I will investigate now. :smile: Get ready for questions. lol

1 Like

If your after more than just a set of ten (he also has contact sensors) you can get that price down to $4 each or less!

1 Like

Will these work on UK hubs?

Yes. Zigbee uses the same frequency spectrum worldwide.

2 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

Nice, would you mind sharing the stipped down code, please, @CrazyIvan?
I also use it, but not sure what parts to cut out from the code, so it would be helpful in learning some tuning og custom applications/child applications that out there.
In advance, thank you so much.
Kind regards
RogerThat
Oslo, Norway

@asj can you give some guidance on how to setup your custom app? I have a lot of lag using motion sensors to turn on lights and it looks like your project may be of some use.

What type of motion sensors and lights are you using? Some sensors are much more responsive than others.

Wink dome sensors