Specific Rule not firing

Hi. I am having some issues on occassion with certain rules not firing, and I can't see anything wrong with my rule.

Here is the current example. My Cloudy Day Lighting Scene did not execute, even though the rule suggests it should have. Here is the screenshot:

Day mode is on. Time and cloud conditions are true. But "Cloudy Day" scene did not fire.

When I go in and manually activate the Cloudy Day scene activator device it works just fine.

Any ideas what I may be missing?

Thanks on advance!

CJ

As a follow up, is there any difference between using a "per mode" action and entering an action for Day Mode only, versus adding an "if day" condition before the action you want to fire?

It may be more reliable to setup the trigger to be Toronto weather alert to 'changed' then put the condition (>=30) as the master if/then in the rule.

That wouldn't work, because I want the trigger to be time of day. If it is already cloudy at sunrise, then that trigger won't fire. The cloud condition looks pretty straightforward, as all it does it check to see if the number is greater than 30. It just isn't activating the scene.

I will try adding a "day mode" condition and them straight scene activation instead of an "action per mode" scene activation and see if that does anything.

Are you running 2.2.4.148 yet as there is mention of a fix for RM and days of the week:

The way your rule is setup the actual trigger is the cloudiness which is then conditioned with the time. Which is fine but I'm not sure if the rule will trigger more than once after the cloudiness stays over 30.
i.e. Cloudiness is goes from 29 to 30, rule triggers, but time is outside the range therefore the scene doesn't fire. I'm not sure the rule will ever trigger again until the cloudiness goes below 30 then hits 30+ again. So if the cloudiness stays at 30+ and the Time does now come into the window the rule actions will never fire it because it won't be 'triggered' again.

Oh sorry, you're right! I wasn't looking at the rule when I replied; I was going by memory. That's exactly the problem. Your suggestion will work, but not if the clouds stay constant all day. I am going to rethink the logic on this, but if all else fails, I can use your suggestion plus a separate time of day trigger, with an "if cloudiness" condition, to capture the situation where it's already a cloudy state above 30 in the morning, and cloudiness doesn't change.

Thanks for showing me the error in my logic here!

CJ

Yes, correct; you could just add a second trigger for the earliest time in your condition to force the rule to trigger at least once even if the cloudiness is consistently 30+.
You're welcome, we're all here to help and learn. Have a good day and if you're in the States then Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks Mark.

The Hubitat community is awesome, as is Hubitat. I put of switching from Smartthings for too long, but when Samsung ruined ST once and for all, with their new app, I made the switch. So glad I did! And Happy Thanksgiving to you - I'm in Canada, so we already had ours over a month ago. Stay well and stay safe!

I changed my rule to this:

Does this make sense to you, @wecoyote5 ?

That looks like it should work just fine. I would have set it up that way.

Thanks. I'll find out soon enough!

:+1:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.