SONOS stops support for "older" models starting in May. Another warning shot

Just received my alert email from Sonos indicating that 3 of my Play:5's (purchased from Sonos in 2017) are on the old and naughty list and will no longer be supported.

The interesting bit is while the system will continue to work (but may "degrade") no devices on the system will be updated even if they are newer.

Apparently these premium speakers are not premium enough to handle what they've been doing all along so need to be scrapped/replaced by more modern ones - 3 years is a long time after all. Can't ever imagine a home audio system lasting 10 years or more I guess. {sarcasm}

I also have a Sonos:Connect purchased in 2017 that has been declared "old" while my 2018 Sonos:Connect is "modern".

And to make matters even more fun - they jacked up the prices on newer devices like for the connect so any "tradeup" is not really the 30% they are offering.

Another indication that we really don't own our own equipment these days..

sigh.

5 Likes

Exactly what I was afraid of buying into this ecosystem, thankfully I only have 2 of their speakers. Their products are over double market price if that price increase doesn't withstand more than 3 years of support, it's time to shop around.

I have 3 from Ikea. That'll be the last.

I guess I will have to dust off my 30 year old Sansui amp and tuner and put them back in service.

My e-mail said my Play:5 units and my Connect are obsolete. I can't imagine it will be very long before they tell me the rest of it is obsolete. I may buy another system but it will never be from Sonos.

2 Likes

As a Sonos Connect owner (purchased new in Oct 2017) I was initially concerned at this news (since it's less than 3 years old). However, the manufacture date of the model you own makes a difference. In my particular case I have a "modern" Connect, not a "Legacy" one, so I will continue to receive software updates, etc. for awhile.

This link may be useful to others:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4798?language=en_US

Wow this is frustrating.

Makes me miss my Squeezebox system. At least Logitech didn't cripple their hardware... they just discontinued it but you could still run the server locally.

3 Likes

Sonos says we will be able to continue to run the old gear but we won't get any updates and the entire system will be rev-locked so none of the units (even if newer) will get updates. That will probably work for me - they haven't introduced a new feature that I have used . . . ever.

1 Like

They also say that the system will possibly "degrade" in the future as I assume their servers get upgraded... not good.

Sounding similar to Works With Nest program

You know, I had considered investing in some Sonos speakers. Everybody seems to love em. But after this fiasco? I don't think I'll ever even consider buying them now. I mean, that's just wrong. They're 3 years old! My surround system is almost 15 years old and works perfectly!

3 Likes

Agreed, these just went from the top of my want list to do not buy.

3 Likes

With all my other home automation I'm glad went with the wired route for my whole home audio. :wink:

I know but there is no difference in model #'s between my 2017 Connect and my 2018 - and they say they are halting due to low memory, not enough processing power etc etc. It seems like just a cash grab. Also next year my Connect will likely become too old. I dunno it's frustrating.

1 Like

But they will give you a 30% discount for replacement gear. Such a deal! NOT!

I'm just surprised the original Playbar and Sub weren't obsoleted as well. I think mine are from 2012 or 2013.

I like the sound immensely, but not if I have to spend $1500 every few years.

20% after price increases but they can market 30%... the evil it... burns...

1 Like

I don't know - my sub is 2017 but the playbar died last year and they gave me the "30%" discount because the warranty had expired so that should buy me some time. The subwoofer on the other hand...

How long before the "Modern Products" move over to the "Legacy Products" column?

3 Likes

I only notice I got was for a connect which is legitimately 10 years old. 10 years is what they’ve promised for support for a while now.

What alternatives are people looking at?

Which means the Sonos One (Gen 1's) are next because that is the only difference in the Gen 2's and it was less than 6 months ago I bought my first Sonos (One Gen 2) and every piece of marketing was trying to push the Gen 1's because they were $20 cheaper, saying the memory upgrade wasn't worth the extra money.

Sounds like now they were just trying to get rid of their Gen 1 inventory, leaving you abandoned in just a couple years.

1 Like