Sonos Beam and Hubitat TTS

I recently added a Sonos Beam to my Hubitat/Sonos Integration. The TV I have it connected to when playing a TTS message from Hubitat mutes the TV and it stays muted after the TTS has been completed.

The only way I get it unmuted or have any sound volume control over the TV is to go into the Sonos app and uncheck the TV autoplay. Is this supposed to stay unchecked??

I don't have this issue with my Sonos One but then again it's not connected directly to a TV and doesn't have that ability to check/uncheck TV autoplay.

1 Like

Same situation here. It works as it should "sometimes" but the rest of the time the audio doesn't return to TV.

Other than your workaround you can also say "Alexa Listen to TV Audio" or "Hey Google, Listen to TV Audio". Both commands will return audio playback to TV.

2 Likes

Odd. @mike.maxwell Would it be possible at looking for a fix for this?

I'm thinking this could be a Sonos issue, not an HE issue. But I have no proof of that.

1 Like

@waynespringer79 @halfrican.ak

This also happens with the Sonos Playbar. At least with the Playbar, there's a simple work around. Send all TTS using the Custom Action "playTextAndRestore", an example of which is shown below.

39%20PM

5 Likes

Good News: This appears to work on the beam as well

Bad News: Now I have to Edit ALL of my rules that involve TTS commands.

3 Likes

Ok, I don't have time to post this tonight, but I use a GV for all my TTS, and then a single rule to process the GV and play it via speaker(s).

This means there's a single rule to edit if I change the speakers that I use. I highly recommend this approach. I'll PM you tomorrow.

2 Likes

Quick question, and on a slightly different subject, with the Sono's One's and Google Assistant ability can you just use that for TTS via the Chromecast HE app and NOT via the Sono's integration app? I'm keen to understand will it speak via Google Chromecast TTS on Sono's.

Reason I ask this is I have found that when listening to a Spotify playlist on the Sono's Play 1 and a TTS comes through it will restart from the beginning of the Spotify playlist and not just the track it was just playing which is really annoying. I asked about this but nothing will be done until Sono's sort out their future API so I wondered is the Chromecast built into the Sono's speaker maybe a good workaround to the issue.

You probably could, but the main reason I bought Sonos was because Hubitat's Chromecast Integration has been known to cause hub slowdowns and other issues, so going with Sonos gets away from using the Chromecast integration.

1 Like

Ah, great!

That has been my big wand, missing part...
I got lost trying to tell the Sonos to switch to optical... hehe, hope someone got that one, for sure... Did You try the same???

Thank You sooooo much!!!

RogerThat

... and not to forget the SYMFONISK from IKEA product line...
Will save you a few silver coins for «almost» the same hardware, in the other rooms, like in the kitchen or in one of the bathrooms.
(Did you see that? Only one kitchen... hehe)

RogerThat

My idea is to use the HE to stay functional without an internet connection. That is the challenge...

Sonos will play the TV sound, no matter what you give it. Just give the source a giggle, and it autoswitches. But to tell it to listen to play the right input without touching the remotes? Well, that is another connected issue... I guess...
Or is it, did I miss something?
\\RogerThat

That is one huge question, @jchurch.
I bet SonoS team will scratch their head a bit here now... Hehe!
Was’nt the idea of SonoS to make it easy?
Must have been previous of HE and IKEA, and what not... hihi. :wink:
\\RogerThat

From my experience I have found the Chromecast HE app rock solid so long as I use the community Chromecast Helper app. If I can use that via through the Sono's to resolve the track issue i'd accept that as problem solved :slight_smile:

EDIT: I just don't want to invest in 2 x Sono's One's if it didn't work as planned otherwise i'd just stick with 2 x second hand Sono's Play 1's for my rear deck (outside).

To me it defeats the purpose of spending the extra $$$ on Sonos over a Google Home device to only still be using the chromecast integration that as you state needs a helper app to function

As for for the Sono's Play 1's if your not going to buy the Sonos devices that don't have the assistants built in them, it would be more cost effective to buy the Symphonisk speakers that are about half the price of Play 1's and are basically Sonos speakers with a different logo.

1 Like

A small clarification:

A teardown of Ikea's Symfonisk speaker revealed it shares the electronics of the latest model which is the Sonos One (the Sonos Play:1 is its ancestor). To more precise, it's the Sonos One SL which excludes a voice assistant. This version supports Apple Air Play 2 (whereas the Play:1 did not).

Reports indicate the Symfonisk's sound reproduction is good but not as good as the Sonos One. I imagine many people wouldn't notice the difference unless both speakers were available for comparison.

My original issue/question was that Sono's when it receives a TTS while listening to Spotify restarts my playlist from the entire beginning not just the track I was listening too. I use TTS for many things in my home but I also enjoy listening to Sono's too (which I am already invested in) so I personally found it was just annoying for this to occur. I did reach out to HE staff on this issue and was told that they know the Sono's integration needs work but it not be done until Sono's update their API. This is why I just wanted a workaround for the issue. That said my work around now is just to exclude Sono's from TTS all together and use the Google Home hub in my kitchen for all TTS announcements which is loud and is noticed so don't really need it across my Sono's speakers in other rooms anymore.

I actually did consider the Ikea speakers at one point but it was the outer fabric face that I decided might not be ideal for use outdoors long term.

The custom action playTextAndRestore() works for that as well.

2 Likes

I had the similar issue before. I changed my rules so now I have two rules which do the heaving lifting for alerting. One is for the kitchen and one is for the whole house. In any rule that I need alerting, I have added two actions. The first sets a variable (alerts_text) to whatever the alert text is. The second runs the rule of either the kitchen or the whole house notifications. While it is a drag to go through and add two steps for notification, it saves me immeasurable amounts of time when it comes to say, reloading the Sonos app or moving from pushover to the HE app for mobile notifications.

3 Likes

Unfortunately that didn't work. In fact it killed my Spotify playlist entirely and didn't even restart :frowning: