SONOFF Zigbee Human Presence Sensor | SNZB-06P

Hi again, I just received mine as well. But I can't find your 1.6.8 version of the driver on your github profile, only the 1.6.6 one.

You must switch to the development branch :

Or use this direct link :

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kkossev/Hubitat/development/Drivers/Tuya%20Multi%20Sensor%204%20In%201/Tuya%20Multi%20Sensor%204%20In%201.groovy

I see. Thanks, it seems to be working. I will keep testing it (especially for the bedtime presence) and I'll keep you posted.

Great, thank you for the update!

The driver's code seems to work well. But the SonOff sensor did not work well last night : it went from "active" to "inactive" a lot during the night when we were sleeping. I tested the sensor with sensitivity set to high, and set it 2 meters away from the bottom of our bed, at 1m50 height.
Either the position of the sensor was not good enough for it to work well, or it is not that good to detect people sleeping with a blanket over them.

I will test a far better sensor position tonight : 1m50 right above the top of the bed, 30cm at the right of the bed. If it does not work there, then it is not good for sleeping people presence.

Try with the 'Fading Time' preference set to 300 seconds (5 minutes) for the night.

Do you have any 'Nigh Mode' / 'Sleep Mode' automations?

You could dynamically change the 'fading time' parameter from a RM5 rule - make the sensor react quickly and turn off the lights within 10..30 seconds during the day, but at night - keep the 'active' state for a long time ..

Here is a quick RM5 example :

That IS a good idea ! I will implement it tomorrow if my tonight's test is ok.

The fading time was set to 2 minutes last night. I'm setting it to 5 minutes for tonight.

I really hope this will work, it would allow my automations to really be about human presence (and not as for now human movement and time of day).

1 Like

One little bug I found : even if fading time is set to 120s, sometimes the sensor will report inactive after only about 60s (63s) in my case).

Example :

I can confirm the problem as well, however, I am not sure where it is coming from ...

What we see in the logs, events and in the Current States is what the Sonoff SNZB-06P returns back. For some reason, the new fading time is not taken into account.

What are the last 4 digits of your device 'firmwareMT ?

It seems you have the issue too indeed...

The last 4 digit of my device are 1003.

Ok, here is some feedback from my 3 days-use of these sonoff presence sensors.

The driver provided by @kkossev works very well (appart from the fading time for now, but it's a minor thing that can be fixed with automations)

However I'm overall not satisfied at all with these sensors :

• each of my 3 sensors did not reported back to inactive at least once per day even though there really were nothing moving even slightly in the sensor's range. This breaks the automation I wanted to implement by knowing precisely any presence in my rooms.
  • the sensors don't work well for monitoring presence of sleeping people, even when I put one sensor right over the bed. It constantly report inactivity, and timing it to 5 minutes does not even do the trick. It's starting to become more useless if you need a fading time of more than 5 minutes IMO.
  • most of all, my perfectly working zigbee mesh went completely wrong right after I installed these sensors (ie. Zigbee buttons nots responding, zigbee bulbs locked in either on or off, IR motion sensors dropping from network, etc).

So I'm gonna give it a few more days. But unless someone experienced the same issues and have a good fix, I'm pretty sure I will remove them soon and sell them on eBay.

1 Like

I have never had full success with any mmWave sensor detecting 100% reliably a sleeping person... And this is probably one of the cheapest sensors, so I wouldn't have high hopes for it...

However, there is something else strange with this device. It sends periodically "match descriptor request" ZDO messages to the HE hub, which isn't good... There is some kind of incompatibility with HE. When I have the time, I will compare how it behaves with Zigbee2MQTT and SmartThings (even if paired as a 'thing' in ST).

2 Likes

I was able to get this device working with steps above, but seeing strangest I can't figure out. Motion detection works. But never really seems to go inactive according to the status. (Even when it does no motion in the logs, the status is still "active"). Is their anything I can do to help troubleshoot this behavior? So using it as a " presence" device doesn't really work, also curious about is their a way to get it to register a presence status instead of just motion?

Did you pair the device after the custom driver was already installed? If not - delete the device and pair it again to the hub,

The Sonoff sensor seems to be very sensitive. Put it away from any electronics. Move it temporary to another room, where there are no moving objects (fans, curtains, air conditioners ...)
Have you tried configuring low sensitivity?

Note, that SNZB-06P is not a presence sensor in the meaning used in Hubitat. A presence sensor senses the presence of a particular human at a particular location - such devices are the Samsung Arrival Sensor, a mobile phone carried by a particular person, a NFC/BT tag again carried by a particular person.

All these new mmWave sensors are just a very high sensitive motion sensors, that react on any object that moves (even slightly) and changes the mmWave reflections. We expect the object to be a human, but it reacts equally on larger pets, fans, curtains moving because of the air flow, etc.. Contrary to the PIR sensors, the mmWave sensors do not react on infra-red radiation changes ( so no false triggering because of the sun shining spots as an example).

1 Like

Bit of a sale locally atm Amazon.ca $5 off a 2 pack reg. $69.99.
$32.50/one, guess it's worth a shot. :man_shrugging:
Easy enough to return if it's a dud.

Well... Throwing in the towel on this one for now.
Seems to be totally random detection no matter what settings or position the sensor uses.

For the price seems like ordering something from China is the way to go.

There are comments in other forums that this Sonoff sensor is too dependent even on the position where it is mounted and the direction it is facing - some suggest that the optimal mounting is 1.5 meters above the floor level. We get what we pay for ...

I just bought the 2 pk deal and tried to install one of them. It pairs easily and using the Tuya Multi Sensor 4 in 1 driver and that's as far as it gets. It won't trigger then it dropped offline. I repaired it, used General Zigbee Motion (no temp) driver and it did the same thing. I think I will put these into my "Tinker with later" box.

Check if the driver version is at least 1.6.8, dated 2023-11-20. The older versions will not work properly with this device.

I'm not sure why everyone seems to be having so many problems with this sensor, I have 4 of them now and they seem to be pretty reliable for me, don't drop off the mesh and also work well as repeaters.

No idea what the firmware or software build is though as that doesn't seem to be reported by 1.6.8.

This is on a C7 on Zigbee channel 20 in case that's important.