SONOFF SNZB-02 Temp/Hum Sensors

This is what one of the KASA devices looks like. I never liked how it created multiple devices for a single wall switch...

They also advertise as Wi-Fi... so not sure why there is a zigbee entry??

I do have the KASA integration app installed on Hubitat. I'm assuming something there is making those connections.

Based on what you have, I'd say your best bet would be to get some smart outlets.

I know that the Ikea outlets and Third Reality outlets act as repeaters.

I've also used Sonoff S31 zb lite outlets in the past that also worked as repeaters.
I removed them from use as they weren't ETL rated at the time (newer versions are).

I will absolutely give it a try.
I'll order tonight, and post back once installed.
Thanks again for your time. Please have a pleasant weekend!

I have (3) Innr Smart Outlet Plugs that are working well as a Zigbee outlet and as a repeater.

(BTW, I also have (5) of the Sonoff Temp/Humidity sensors and they work well too.)

1 Like

I use these for repeaters:

1 Like

Thanks guys. I bought a pack of each.
I don't have a specific need other than seeing if the repeater helps; but I'm sure I'll find something to plug into them.

In the meantime; I went ahead and "re-zigbee'd??" all five sonoff devices. They were already recognized as devices (obviously), and also logged the communication routes/packets/clusters information.

Here's a screenshot from a few minutes ago. The only questionable one right now is the basement, which hasn't reported in about 12 hours.
image_2023-03-25_152756830

1 Like

@joshlobe
That's some really nice graphics on that dashboard.

1 Like

Lol... Honestly, I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not, but thank you :slight_smile: It's a stock hubitat dashboard; but with a little trick I learned here on the forums about using "half" tiles. I doubled the amount of rows my screen can handle; and halved the height of each icon. Thus, a 1x1 effectively becomes a 2x2. This allows me to have "half tiles" for things like time, temp, humidity, etc.

Here is the full dashboard:

And here is a dash I made for my fire10 that hangs by the door. I used a bit of custom css and javascript on this one. Pushing one of the text links at the bottom loads the appropriate section of tiles.

3 Likes

No sarcasm at all. The half-tiles thing is really nice.

1 Like

Those half tiles are pretty cool.

I'm going to have to try those out when I build out my dashboards again.

1 Like

I just realized the one sonoff temp humidity sensor I have is no longer reporting temp. It is reporting humidity with no issue. perhaps it has gone bad.

I moved it from a C7 to a C8 on Saturday and there was a temp report right after I added the sensor, and none since. Humidity and battery reports are still being seen, however. Guess I will try re-pairing when I get home tonight.

So, while I'm waiting on the repeater plugs... I played around with the sonoff devices. I repaired all of them; and they were reporting regularly. I then changed the reporting intervals on two devices to "humidity every 1 hour" and "temp every 5 minutes". This is when both devices started not reporting at all. Switching them back to the default "humidity on 1% change" and "temp on 0.5 degree change"; and they started reporting again.

Even when they report regularly; the temperature might only update once or twice a day. I know that can't be right. I need something that can report on a time interval (every five minutes) so I can automate other devices. The way these currently report; the temp is far too infrequent.

Sonoff SNZB-02 is one of the sensors that fully comply with Zigbee standards and its reporting intervals and threshold are truly configurable. You can use this driver to configure it, then you can switch back to your preferred driver.

3 Likes

So, you're saying:

1. Install Tuya driver and switch device to Tuya driver.
  2. Go to device settings and configure (hoping I can do every 10 minutes for temp, don't care about humidity). Press configure and save device.
  3. Switch back to the "Sonoff zigbee temp/humidity sensor".

Just want to make sure I understand. And also, out of curiosity, why do I need to switch back to the sonoff driver? Why not just leave it on the Tuya driver?

Hi @joshlobe ,

No, you don't need to switch back to the inbuilt Sonoff driver, if you like this one. I am saying 'you can', as I know some of us prefer to use HE stock drivers only. If you like how the driver works, you can stay with it. I am using it with a lot of T/H/I sensors from several different brands on C-7 and C-8 hubs at home.

Just change the preference and click on the 'Save Preferences' button at the end of the section. Then, when the sensor wakes up the changed preference will be sent to the device. It may happen 10 seconds, or 1 hour later.

There is no 'Configure' button in the Tuya driver. It is a common misunderstanding that clicking on this button (where available) will always successfully re-configure a Zigbee sensor after changing the driver. This is true only for the mains-powered Zigbee devices (plugs, bulbs..). Most of the battery-powered Zigbee sensors (including SNZB-02) are 'sleepy', i.e. they keep their radio turned off 99% of the time to save the battery. So they never receive the changed configuration parameters, as the Zigbee commands are usually lost after 6-7 seconds if not received at the destination.

What the Tuya driver does is to wait for the sleepy device to wake up (when the temperature or the humidity changes rapidly as an example) and send the configuration commands at that time. This usually works in 99% of the cases.

2 Likes

Re-pairing the Sonoff got it reporting temp again. Not sure why it would just stop reporting temperature and not completely.

I had the same problem with a Sonoff contact sensor in the last days - it was reporting the open/close state, but not the battery level. And after pairing it again to the C-8 hub, the periodic reporting is working again.

Well, switching to the Tuya driver has done wonders. It did take a little "finessing" to get all five communicating properly; but I think some of that had to do with the devices. On one of the devices; the little button broke off of the circuit board; rendering the pairing button useless. But removing the battery for five minutes did "re-wake" the device.

Watching the debug logs during communication was a pleasant surprise. Everything was well documented; and I could easily follow along (coming from a development background myself). On two of the devices; the temperature parse did not work correctly the first time; but re-pairing got it communicating properly.

They are all now reporting at almost exact 10 minute intervals. This is exactly how I wanted them to behave initially. Thank you so much for your work in this community!

2 Likes

12 hours later and all are still reporting exactly as configured.

Perhaps... but I personally see no need to switch back. It's obvious you are skilled and I would rather keep your driver. Thanks again!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.