SONOFF S40 Lite 15A Zigbee smart plug - Anyone use these?

I had 5 S31 Zigbee plugs and sold them on EBay for about $5 each.

1 Like

One of mine I have noticed some issues recently where I can turn it on but then when I go to turn it off I have to press my off button like 10 times for it to work. If it keeps going downhill might have to replace my two also.

How have the thirdreality plugs been? Any issues routing?

They (thirdreality) have been working perfectly for me.

1 Like

I have been phasing out my Sonoff S31 Lite outlets with Sengled E1C-NB7 plug-in‘s. I find they are much more reliable. I now have 17 of them and have not had a single issue. Note. I don’t have any of the S40s but I will not buy anymore sonoff.

3 Likes

I use the Sengled plugs as well as thridreality and they seem to play well with each other.

No issues with routing, but they're a bit chatty. Even when not being used they're pinging the hub every 3 minutes. Details on another user with the same 'issue' Third Reality Plug Logging Every 3 minutes - #8 by zerosum74

Hopefully a firmware update from Third Reality someday will resolve this.

can these be used for a power trigger? for example...when whatever is plugged in turns on it senses it and does something else

S40 Lite does not have power reporting which is what you need to have to know if the device turns on and starts drawing more power.

Do you have a recommendation for one?

The only ones I have are the Sengled G2 Zigbee (make sure they are not Wifi or Bluetooth). They have worked good and I use one to monitor how often my sump pump runs. Price has gone up about $20 since I got them :frowning: .

https://www.amazon.com/Sengled-Compatible-Required-Appliances-Certified/dp/B08FJ5LHSN/?th=1

Yes the price has gone up and Amazon.ca version of the Sengled store doesn’t have any available. I haven’t found any other place that sells them.

I just started to set up a new Hubitat system and bought 2 of the Sonoff Zigbee S40 Lite plugs to start things up and test out the Homekit integration etc. I'm coming off a 3 or 4 year run with SmartThings and mostly cloud devices. In HE I plan to use mostly if not all Zigbee or local devices.

Anyhow, yes I too have the green flashing "issue" with both of mine as well. I haven't had a chance to see what the symptom is yet, i.e. maybe automations won't run? I'm wondering if I should return them and go for my 2nd option which were the ThirdReality plugs (a little more $).

The blinking is an odd behavior, so if it bothers you then certainly return them.

It has been about 5 months since I first observed it, yet I have not witnessed any failure to operate by physical or automated operation. Still, I find myself confirming that it works from time to time, which is a waste of mind share and time.

I should have read deeper in this thread. I just purchased a couple of s40ZBTPB Lite. They paired ok but I cannot get them to turn on or off using the Generic Zigbee Plug device. I just ordered the Sengled plug and will return the Sonoff plugs and a few relays that just arrived.

1 Like

Mine are still working fine using the Generic Zigbee Outlet driver. Not the greatest devices but they work. Sometimes the LED starts flashing randomly for no reason but they are somewhat hidden anyway.

Thanks @jtp10181 … I should have doublechecked… I am using the Generic Zigbee Outlet driver. The LED never stops flashing but that didn’t bother me given the location.

When I went to buy more of the Sengled’s they were out of stock for months. I ended up buying some Thirdreality ones. I got the version before they updated with the power reporting that everyone is complaining that they are too chatty. Anyway they are good as well. Still not as good as the sengled’s though.

If you send a refresh() to the outlet, the light stops blinking for a while. I have a rule that sends a refresh every 10 minutes and mine never blink.

Also, they are great for keeping the xiaomi Zigbee sensors from dropping off the network.