Sonoff Motion Sensor [Working]

@paul11 I did see some strangeness while using the markus driver, long periods where the driver was reporting that the sensor had missed it's reporting and was in recovery mode. However, the sensor behaved normally whenever I checked. I use it as a closet light trigger, so I can just open the door to see if it's working!

So far, it's not failed, and within the usual expecations of Sensor->Hubitat->Hue Hub communications, it's working in a timely and reliable fashion!

I'd say door motion to light on is about half a second.

Hopefuly yours continue working as well.

S.

Thanks @scottgu3.

I'm starting to see some settling of the mesh I think. And to keep things interesting have upgraded to HE .158. Seemed to transition fairly well (or mostly so).

So I added a few other times in...

4x Motion Sensors SNZB-03
2x S31 Lite Plug/Repeater
1x Contact Sensor SNB-04

And will be watching them as the mesh shorts itself out.

You are right about the reaction time. Very quick. Super impressive.

Thanks for your help on all this.

1 Like

I use the samsung zigbee plugs: Samsung SmartThings GP-U999SJVLDAA Smart Outlet, Automated Plug-in Lighting Module, White

SAMSUNG
They work great. I have 2, one fairly close to the hub and one farther out, they work together. The only hassle is they have to be ON to repeat. I noticed if I turn that middle plug off, I lose zigbee devices in the outer zone.

That's just strange, and makes no real sense. (Not that it isn't happening, but it's just Weird).

For you to remotely control the outlet through Hubitat, the Zigbee radio must remain on at all times, regardless of the state of the controlled outlet. I have a number of Samsung plugs and use them as repeaters extensively. I've never looked for this behavior, but I'd be utterly gobsmacked if I saw it.

Just goes to show everyone has different experiences with the same devices!

S.

I was surprised but twice my wife shut the plug in the kitchen off (which she naturally thought was OK) and I lost connectivity to my zigbee motion sensor and door contact sensor. I turned it on and bingo, working again. So, now I have her trained to leave it on. I purposely placed the second one in an unused outlet.

Circling back on this old thread, it seems most of the flakey issues I was having with the Sonoff gear was related to a failing zigbee radio in my hub. It eventually died putting me out of my misery. Now it's replaced the devices either work or don't. I say that because out of 10 sonoff devices i eventually purchased 2 were just bad. The others have seemed to work very well for some time now.

So overall I think these little devices are good value (very cheap), but buy them from somewhere you can send back the duds.

Just got 2 SNZB-03 motion sensors, but neither of them will pair. Am I missing something?

I would check the batteries first. You may need to bent a little the metal parts that are supposed to make a good contact to the battery cell.

Can you confirm you can get both of them into pairing mode? And have you installed the oohlala drivers?

No, I didn't have that driver installed. I see I have to have HPM, so I have installed that but I get an error trying to run that, so I haven't gotten very far.

Is there a way to install Oohlala without using HPM?

Yes there is. I don't know why people rave over HPM, I find it annoying and prefer the old copy and paste way of installing drivers.

Go to this page

and just under where is says supported devices you'll see a list of the 5 different Sonoff devices. Select the link next to the device you have/require. Now COPY ALL THE CODE TEXT from that page.

Now open up your hubitat web interface. Select the hamburger menu top left and select Drivers Code. Now press New Driver.

Paste the code you just copied in the huge text box and press save.

Done. Driver installed.

When you pair the Sonoff device it should select the correct driver from the Device Type list (on the Device page). If not you can select it manually and press Configure afterwards.

1 Like

Agreed. We have quite a few of the Sonoff buttons, but there is one in particular that always seems to frequently unpair. I guess for their price you're bound to get the odd bad apple.

Interesting comment.
Personally I find it easier to get a notification that an update is available, going to the app and then hitting a couple of buttons. Job done.
Easier than following a thread and spotting that an update is available (hopefully), going to github, copying the code, going to apps/drivers in HE, opening the code, highlighting code, deleting code and then copying in new code.
Just me i suppose.

1 Like

Mainly because it's an absolute git to get running for newbies, it often times finds the wrong driver than what you're wanting, and from experience it's extremely buggy and confusing to use.

I've also found half the time the driver isn't even in the repo to start with and end up resorting to the old fashioned way, chopping and changing a working smartthings driver.

Just me I suppose...

You know that the HPM is a community built app not HE supported right?

The missing drivers are not the "fault" of HPM. It's the app/driver devs who have not added that capability to their repos for whatever reason (and that's okay too). I agree the UI is clunky but that's kind of what you get right now when developing interfaces in HE.

In terms of a complicated install - it's as difficult as importing app or driver code directly , something you'd be doing without HPM in the first place. HPM ultimately makes it easier to install/maintain community based apps and drivers.

Am grateful for @dman2306's work and @csteele's continuing efforts in supporting this important community function.

But that's just my opinion... :smile:

4 Likes

Sean, thank you very much. That did the trick and I have the Sonoff motion sensor paired. As for HPM, I can't get past the 1st page as it says that it can't login to do the match, and I have tried both Hub Login Security enabled and disabled.

You might want to post your issue over on this thread @csteele started.. to keep things organized in case others are experiencing issues etc.

Done, thanks!

1 Like