[Sonoff] Adding Sonoff ZigBee SNZB-02 to Google Home

Hi folks.
I'm a complete newbie so I'm sorry if this is a silly question.
I've added a a Sonoff SNZB-02 Temperature and Humidity Sensor to my devices and it's showing up fine. However, when I go to the apps section and try add it to my Google Home devices, it gets ignored and eventually disappears from the list again. Is there a way to configure the device so that it can be recognised by the Google Home app?

I had used a Sonoff hub before and Google Home was able to recognise the sensor though that.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks!

Welcome to Hubitat, I'm not a Google Home user so I can't really help, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge about this will come along! Meanwhile, I'm assuming when you say it disappears from the list, you are talking about the Google Home app and not the Hubitat Device page?

1 Like

Hi nclark.
Yes it appears fine in the Hubitat Device page and displays the temperature and humidity readings correctly.
It's when I add it to the list of devices to share with Google Home in the Google Home app in Hubitat Apps that I encounter the issue.

The app does say that "If you include a device that isn't compatible with Google Home it will just be ignored and not sent to Google Home", I'm assuming that's what's happening here.

I have shared light switches. But the Sonoff sensors don't appear to be compatible with Google Home. It's the same deal with the Sonoff SNZB-04 Wireless Door/Window Sensor. But they did work with Google Home through the Sonoff Bridge before.

Ok that's weird, might have something to do with the way it's implemented in the driver or something. Sorry I can't help more than that.

1 Like

I've not played with Google home, but often I've seen advice along the lines of creating a Virtual Device that Google Home does understand, and then linking that to events generated by the real device.

Dig around a little, you might find something.

This might be a good starting point:

S

1 Like

Hi scottgu3. Thanks for the reply.
That's an interesting idea actually. I had a bit of a poke around the virtual device section when I was first setting up my Hubitat. But I'll explore it more and report back my results. Cheers for the tip.

The built in google home integration supports only switches, dimmers, thermostats, RGB, RGBW and ColorTemperature bulbs.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Google_Home

1 Like

Hi at9. That's interesting. I didn't spot that on the hubitat documentation. Thanks.
That must be a limitation of the Hubitat Google Home app then?
I was definitely able to integrate the cheap Sonoff Bridge with Google Home on my phone and ask Google Assistant for the temperature or the humidity, and it would report it fine. They displayed in the Google Home app as devices too.

Hubitat is still a still a waaaaay better hub regardless

You might want to take a look at the community maintained Google Home Integration as stated above, it looks like this might get you up and running the way you would like...

You can also just ask in that thread and see if the experts in there say it will work or not.

1 Like

Hey guys. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the advice.
I added the Google Home Community app and configured my devices for that. It works great now.

Looking forward to asking more dumb questions when they come to me.

1 Like

No dumb questions, just questions. Without questions you can't learn, whether you ask or find it by your own.

Glad everything is working!

1 Like

To be honest, it was a great learning experience to add code for a community built app and configuring it to make it play nice with the ZigBee devices.
The Google Home Community app is way more powerful than the default official Hubitat one.
It makes me want to explore more now and see what else is out there

2 Likes

Is this controlled by Google or Hubitat and how do we find out if there is a plan to expand the integration?