Someone stole my presence sensor, is there an easier way to swap with a new 1

Hello guys,

Some punk broke into my car and didn't get much except my Rx sunglasses and my presence sensor that was in my glove box. I'm wondering if there's a way to just pair the new 1 without having to then manually add it back to everything it was attached to.

The last time I replaced a sensor because it went bad, once I deleted the old 1 I notice it broke a lot of my rules and I had to setup the rules again to then link it back to the sensor. I'm not sure if there's an easier way or not.

The simplest method is to

1. Pair the new presence sensor to the Hub and give it a unique name (to avoid confusion with the old one)
  2. Open up the device details web page for the OLD sensor. Near the bottom of the page you will see all Apps where the old sensor is referenced.
  3. One by one, go through the list of Apps and ADD the new presence sensor, and REMOVE the old presence sensor.
  4. Once all App references to the old sensor are gone, you can safely Remove the old sensor via its device details page.

This process will ensure that all of your Apps/Rules continue to function without anything getting 'broken'.

8 Likes

Thank you,

I will try your steps tonight.

1 Like

@ogiewon never tried it but couldn’t he just update the old device with the new device network ID? Of course he would have to delete the new one first since that has to be unique.

I’m not sure if that will work with a Zigbee device or not.

I thought it would be that simple and tried that the 1st time I had to do a swap once before, but it didn't work. the method given to me in this post by @ogiewon worked

2 Likes