Some thoughts before signing off

I've appreciated your help. Take care.

1 Like

Iā€™m also curious, if you have feedback, why are you resistant to the notion of having a discussion about it?

This online community, unlike many, is generally capable of having discussions and even disagreements without degenerating into a fight or ad hominem attacks.

3 Likes

I reply because I respect you. If you read the comments and you had an issue/comment would you want to have group of Hubitat ambassadors discount everything? Feelings and such? Really? 2 Hubitat employees responded which I respect. We don't have to agree. My OP wasn't nasty and refected my experience. The responses were over the top. I wouldn't change a thing I said.

Mark, I came from SmartThings. In their community they talk crap about Hubitat's community. I left them because it didn't work well and not local. Hubitat is everything I wanted. I've said so in my posts. But the process is difficult for many users. Most won't say it because why put yourself through it. I know Bruce's response to my comment. It's his company and can do and react anyway he wants. It's the people who don't comment or complain he should consider more. His loyal community means less than he thinks.

The response I got I expected. The response I got was for others. Take care.

1 Like

I think you might be putting too much emphasis on @JasonJoelā€™s use of the word ā€œfeelings.ā€ Maybe a slightly better choice of word would have been ā€œprioritiesā€ or ā€œopinions,ā€ both of which can be very subjective (but probably still get at the point I think he was trying to make).

I suspect that even he has feelings (though I can neither confirm nor deny :upside_down_face:).

5 Likes

How do you suggest I or anyone do that? We obviously respond to information we are exposed to, or can infer. There is a small, not silent, minority who don't like the way we do releases or development. We hear those voices as well, even if we don't necessarily agree with them. But those who don't speak, who don't give their opinion? And you know what these silent people think and want?

Seems as though you have a set view on how things should be done when it comes to software development and release management. And it seems that the way we do it grates on your sensibilities. But then, as you said, it's our company and we do things the best way we know how to -- guaranteed to be imperfect. If it was your company, I'm sure you'd do things the way you thought best, albeit differently.

5 Likes

He was being dissmissive, plug any word you want in. So much for dialogue. Take care.

Congrats on Hubitat. You deserve to be proud. I gave my thoughts as a user. I wouldn't want to run it. Take care..

It seems like you were never really expecting to have a dialogue though. In both the title of the thread and the OP you announce your intention to sign off after saying what you have to say. Plus the prediction that youā€™ll be attacked.

Threads that start off that way tend to be self-fulfilling, in my experience.

I do appreciate your continued responses, though.

Edit: although to be perfectly honest, many of your responses in this thread come off as pretty dismissive. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s how they are intended, just my take. Thatā€™s a problem with online message boards BTW, too easy to misunderstand other peopleā€™s intended tone.

5 Likes

Your comment proves my point..
I respect you but you are not Hubitat. Take care.

Youā€™ve lost me.

2 Likes

I rather appreciate this comment. My first inclination when I see a "signing-off" post is that I know who will be the most active person over the next 12 hours. The tone can come off as a look-at-me martyr, though I trust that the intentions are probably much different. So @rwelsh1320 , I wish you well, but would also welcome your continued participation in the community.

4 Likes

It is not at all clear that there was ever any intent that this be a conversation about how releases should be handled. More, it appears to have been a "here's my position; now I'm out of here since I know you all won't agree with it. Signing off. End of discussion."

OK. We can all 'take care' and spend our time on more fruitful conversations that actually help each other or the platform.

14 Likes