Some thoughts before signing off

Fair enough. Now I know not to ask, lol.

ya if possible maybe two relaase branches would be nice but that is a lot of work..
ie latest stable and latest.. that is how microtek and some other companies do it..

it also adds much complexity to support.

Wouldn't that be the previous release -in this case 2.2.9, (or any former release really) and the current 2.3.0? You have a choice to upgrade or not. Or roll back.

1 Like

I think there is lots of truth to this. I have seen things added in Beta, or changes come about due to a discussion on this forum. I don't think there is a roadmap, per-se. It is what they can do or improve or change within a particular timeline (approximately 60 days) between releases. And it works for them. I am happy to see a responsive company that listens to its customers.

8 Likes

maybe maybe not.. i have seen products where the "stable" release is more than one generation back.. mayb e 2.1.xx instead of the 2.2.x tree etc.. That is the point of the stable.. it lets the manuf. determine what they think the last stable release is.

1 Like

I get your point - there are plenty of examples of this (Microsoft Windows and Ubuntu come to mind easily). But both of those have much larger developer and support engineer resources ..... making it possible to port patches from current releases to previous still-supported releases.

I think that is very onerous for the small, yet nimble, team that @bravenel has assembled, and detracts from developing new features.

3 Likes

If the the official stance is "then don't update", could you please do two things:

1. Announce which releases are considered "stable".
  2. Allow users to choose which version they update to, rather than always updating to the latest.

The RM stuff is what it is.. the staff has stated that RM all versions will always be supported :man_shrugging:. The ability to add your own or use a community created app or driver is one of the most powerful aspects of the HE.

It's easy to feel attacked when people have different ideas/opinions that may contradict your own. In my experience with this community everyone wants to help as best they can but sometimes have different ways of expressing it. Keep in mind this community is world-wide so unintentional misunderstandings due to cultural/language differences can and do occur. It's usually never personal.

This is called the "Minimum Viable Product" and seems to be a very popular and cost effective strategy with startups these days..

2 Likes

ya stable can mean different things to different people.. that is also an issue.
for me, stable means to best of their knowledge all features working without any known bugs, and usually latest has new features that could have bugs.

Ha, every release is stable, or we wouldn't release. Stable and bug free are completely different things.

8 Likes

Isn't every non-beta release considered to be "stable"; else it would not be released. Hot-fixes address bugs whose existence was unknown at the time of the last "stable" release.

6 Likes

lol.. well i still havent updated to latest. I usually wait 4-5 hot fix/sub releases.. Keeping an eye of the forums for reported/purported issues or changes that may affect me. Or a new feature i really NEED/WANT. Then i update first in the house that is NOT empty and give it a week or two before I update the other remotely in the empty house.

Other than one hickup i think due to a aeon minmote run amock and bringing my mesh down. The last 2.2.9.x release has been very stable for me.. The longest i've seen in awhile my one hub stayed up with over 200 devices for 29 days before finally succumbing to the dreaded zigbee radio going offline most likely due to low memory and automatically rebooting via my rule. Probably brought on by my weekly 4 am sunday reboot of my primary wifi router.. the time of the hub panic was 5 minutes later.

1 Like

Ok, then "bug free". Or at least "I promise that this version passed our suite of unit tests."

Yeah, this would be totally workable to me if I could pick which release I updated to.

There are many explanations (from Bruce in particular) as to why things are this way. But my interpretation is that apps like Rule Machine are complex enough that the various versions simply aren't compatible with each other. They make a new app with the new features, and leave those older versions as-is to NOT break anyone's existing apps. A "translator" program could be written, but that takes away from other efforts. This is the best balance of things possible.

Hubitat has stated many times that they are painfully aware of the need for UI and dashboard improvements. They have stated multiple times they want to focus on this at some point, and I think they are looking for the right person to handle this. My opinion is that none of the current staff are really Ui/Ux designers, and they want someone with this skill.

I won't comment on the rest, but I think Hubitat is one of the more balanced ecosystems in terms of features, firmware improvements, cost, and ease of use. And I don't think anyone here will attack you for this. Maybe Hubitat isn't right for some people, and that is fine. But the issues you expressed can often be worked through and you will get more comfortable with things over time.

4 Likes

Ya hubitat if very powerful and flexible and i like the approach, but agree you kinda have to be a tinkerer or have good technical prowes if you have more than the simplest case with a few devices/integrations.. It is NOt control4 nor does it cost as much for that you are paying thousands for them to maintain your house and infostructure..

I have some friends that are very very in/un technical and i cannot yet reocommend they automate their entire house as I dont want to be trying to maintain their stuff remotely.. But I dont think any other solution is better save maybe control4 if their support your location and you want to shell out the big bucks.

Maybe it would be a good business to go into installing hubitat and automating peoples houses and maintaining such... But I am retired and have no such ambitions ...

1 Like

I was retired and had no such ambitions either. Look where that got me!

21 Likes

I’m sure that everyone has carefully read Paragraph 1.c of the Hubitat Terms of Service, to which each of us must agree when we register our hubs or install a firmware update, right?

c. Customer acknowledges that the Hubitat Platform is under continuous development, is not complete or otherwise at the final stage of development and that Hubitat makes no representation that the Hubitat Platform is error or bug free. Customer acknowledges and agrees that the Hubitat Platform may experience unscheduled downtime and agrees that Hubitat shall not be liable for any harm resulting from unscheduled downtime. Customer acknowledges that Hubitat has no obligation to provide support for the Customer's use of the product.

2 Likes

Every new major platform release undergoes internal testing by staff (I think), and then beta testing by users that have volunteered for that (I’m sure).

Hotfixes to the major releases are put out in response to bugs that weren’t previously identified, as @aaiyar explained.

3 Likes

Thank you for your impressive comment. You sound like someone I could have met in a meeting. Take care.