[Solved] Zigbee Instability is back!

I want to cry.... Thank you

1 Like

That's terrific to hear and thanks for all your pain and suffering whilst helping make this platform better for all.
Noice !

2 Likes

Thank you for your continued willingness to troubleshoot. Many, including myself, would have thrown their hands up (middle fingers extended) and walked away had they been in the same position.

My 1 1/2 years on ST was a miserable experience. HE has done everything I’ve needed and more, so it is very painful to see someone not getting the same. Glad you are seeing some positive results! Thanks again and good luck!

2 Likes

That's encouraging. Duplicate messages would seem to be a symptom of the underlying problem, as they would be expected when a lot of retries are happening (acks not arriving in time to inhibit another retry attempt). AFAIK this should be visible in a sniffer trace (the sequence number in a retried message would not match in a retry attempt). Puzzling why they aren't being filtered at the application layer; supposedly the ZCL profile handles that.

I remember seeing something like this very early on when I was setting up my HE system last February (back then with only very few devices when I first began the migration); there were a few users that reported it as well. It seemed to go away but over the past several weeks or so I have noticed that an audio track (played in response to a Zigbee button push) usually gets played multiple times (as if the app is seeing multiple button presses). I should be able to see this with the CC2531 sniffer dongle (best $10 I ever spent) once I get the hang of using it.

Any news of your setup? I still here awaiting for your comments.

1 Like

I suppose another update is in order... I have about 22 devices still on SmartThings, roughly 12-15 not connected to anything, and a couple new devices that I've not yet deployed. But the overewhelming majority have been moved back to Hubitat.

I've now got my system completely split across two hubs/meshes, and have a third hub acting as a coordinator, endpoint for cloud integrations, and dashboard host. Hue lighting is connected to all three hubs so automations can be kept as close to the hub containing the trigger devices.

The Zigbee meshes are running great... Solid, responsive, and no more duplicate messages. There are 94 Zigbee devices on the first, and 95 on the second. I'm still continuing to test and tweak, thanks to some special test builds. But I can say for certain that we now know exactly what was causing the issue before, and how to properly fix it. I'm not sure when those tweaks will make it into produciton however.

The most recent challenge has been against some limitations in Hub Link/Link to Hub in a three hub environment. That's not a negative against Hubitat, I'm just looking to do more than the stock apps allow so I've spent most of my free time since Wednesday creating a replacement.

This weekend will be mostly focused on linking devices to the controller hub and rebuilding dashboards. I'm still missing dozens of automations but for now the priority is getting the dashboards rebuilt.

15 Likes

Very nice, I'm glad to know your system is working, it enhance our joy of having HE, and the quality/performance of the system too!

The big question is.. how's the WAF? We know it plummeted a couple weeks back... today?? Better, I hope.

Really interested in this and some available way to get external devices into HE virtual/mirrored e.g.for implementing MQTT discovery. I hope you create a published hub link protocol for doing this. Keep us (me) updated.

Thank you for working on this with the HE Folks and not giving up! As has been said we all benefit from your hard work. It is much appreciated.

3 Likes

Hey NoWon, I know this is an old post, was it by chance an Enerwave Zigbee Outlet ZB-333 ?
I just had the same thing happen to me, about 2 hours after I paired it, pulled it right off as sonn as XBee showed the ghost, and the ghost vaporized.
Even on ST the logs showed a constant stream of zbjoin messages for this plug, guess it never intialized properly.

no they were Orvibo outlets I had 2 and both did it. Removed both no more problems.

It needs more work before I consider it done. It's a lot of code to install and I am not sure if I have enough time to provide any kind of support on it. No promises other than I'll consider releasing it.

Thank you for the kind words. Zigbee is running smooth like butter now. :slight_smile: I don't know when the fixes will be put into production, but they're coming.

3 Likes

I did notice some slowness with my Hue Motions after the 2.0.5 update sometimes up to 15-30 seconds until it registers motion. I know there was updates to the driver and I did hit configure for all my Hues after the update. I did not have any issues before the update. My Iris motions are also working fine.

Almost there...

I have 13 devices (that I know of) left to move to Hubitat. Unfortunately since Hubitat doesn't allow LAN event subscriptions in apps it's going to take a bit of re-writing the drivers for 10 of them.

Finally can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

10 Likes

When the firmware update is coming? :joy: I know, I know

Thank you for your perseverance. I would have given up long ago. Following this thread has helped me believe this is the right choice for me. I just got this hub to replace my Iris hub.
I guess the good news is this happened while the Iris servers are still up as it would not have been available as a debugging tool in about 5 weeks (ends 3/31)
Again thanks for your effort and explaining your step by step approach so even a dummy like me could understand.

1 Like

Could you just expand on that... it seems pretty significant for a ‘local’ hub implementation but I’m hoping I’ve misunderstood.

No misunderstanding. @chuck.schwer covered the topic in this post.

Move complete!

The move from SmartThings to Hubitat is now complete. I still have the Arlo cameras and Ring Doorbells running in ST, linked to Hubitat, but all other devices have been moved over! There is only one device (that I know of) that remains to be connected. It's a SmartPlug for the basement dehumidifier (which actually died a few weeks ago) that was used to control it. As soon as I finally get around to replacing it, I will re-pair the plug. With that in mind, I'm declaring the migration to be complete.

Technically, my system now consists of 4 hubs; the coordinator hub and three remotes (Hub 1, Hub 2, and SmartThings). I've created a custom app called HubConnect to link all of the hubs to the coordinator.

As I mentioned, I split both meshes across two hubs; one for the basement & 1st floor, and another for the 2nd Floor, Attic and detached garage. The coordinator hub has all cloud integrations, plus devices from both hubs and SmartThings.

This strategy is serving me well. I'm localizing automations to their respecitve hubs whenever possible, building automations on the coordinator whenever a rule requires devices spanning multiple hubs. The diversity of this arrangement has really given me unprecedented flexibility and reliability as well.

I had to make another tweak to the Zigbee stack yesterday to accommodate growth from moving the remainder of devices from SmartThings. The meshes are holding stable after that change. Dashboards are just about complete although I estimate that between 60-80 automations remain to be rebuilt.

As soon as the production changes for the Zigbee stack are released I will be able to, in good conscience mark this thread as resolved.

12 Likes