[Solved] Visonic MCT-340 E - Any way to report temperature more frequently?

I am trying to migrate from Smartthings to Hubitat. I am having similar issues with the Visonic door switches as the OP. I was able to get the hub connected and the Visonic paired. The reported temperature doesn't seem to ever change and hitting refresh on the web page doesn't do anything. I can see the contact in real time though. Another issue I have is that I can't ask Alexa what the temp of the Visonic is. I ask her "what's the temperature of xxxx" and she says "xxxx doesn't support that. I had no problems with this switch (including temp) on SmartThings. Any advise?

I have 4 of these. I just checked them all as I am not using the temperature from these on my automations, they all have reported temperature changes today. Looks like it may be between 1.5 to 2 degree change before it sends an event. You could try to warm it artificially to get enough variance for it to report. Also if it still is not reporting you may try repairing the sensor, no need to delete the device. (If you do not delete zigbee devices it will pop back in place without breaking your automation rules.)

Also I am using the Generic Zigbee Contact Sensor Driver.

Hubitat’s Alexa Skill does not support temperature data, as far as I know.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I did try holding it in my hand for like 5 minutes and breathing on it. I hit the refresh button too, but it never changed. I will try to re-pair it as you said.

That's pretty disappointing, as I had planned to use the temperature part for my pool, probably fridge/freezer and one outside too. Kinda looking like I'm going to be selling the hub. I really only have 3 different types of smart home devices and so far I'm at 2 tries and 2 failures. I appreciate your reply though.

Hi, has anyone had any luck getting this temperature sensor to report the correct temp??

I only have the mct350. It reports temp in Hubitat BUT for whatever reason it only reports in 1C increments which makes it kind of useless in my opinion.

I would expect that this is a driver issue more than a device issue, though, as I've been told by other owners that it reports in smaller increments on other hubs. maybe I'll slap one on home assistant and see what it does there.

I used this driver for years on ST before it had an official DTH. I’m pretty sure it had better than 1°C resolution but it’s been so long I couldn’t say for sure.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tomasaxerot/SmartThings/master/devicetypes/tomasaxerot/visonic-door-window-sensor.src/visonic-door-window-sensor.groovy

Thanks I'll give it a try

it wont work as it sits, it needs a few adjustments to be made Hubitat compatible. I can take a swag at it later.

Something like this (untested, but does save):

EDIT: Not quite. Temperature conversion is wack. Different than any other zigbee driver I've messed with or can find. I'll mess with it later...

The generic zigbee contact sensor will report temperature with a scale of 2 if the device is capable of this, in other words the driver reports what the device produces, there is no rounding or truncation going on.

Understood, and I see that. The device is just not useful for temperature readings (unless 1C increments is useful to you). :man_shrugging:

While farting around with this I saw exactly what Mike said (not that I doubted him, I just needed something to do tonight). The MCT350 just reports in 1C. I don't have an MCT340 handy to test, so can't comment on those.

Just is what it is.

So of the contact sensors I have, the temperature delta reporting is:
Visonic MCT350 = 1C
NYCE = 0.5C
CentraLite = 0.04C

I just reset the MCT-340E then refreshed the device in HE & the temperature changed for the first time since I installed it in January. Do I need to setup a refresh in RM or should it now change as it should have been??
Thanks for the help,

The temperature didn't change over night, although may be the garage temp didn't change?

Have you ever hit configure on the device details page to ensure reporting is setup/configured correctly on the device?

And remember, it has to change 1C / 1.8 DegF before it will report anything...

I'm not sure if I have hit the configure tab or not?? I'll give a try tonight. We're expecting the weather here to change tomorrow so I think I'll know soon enough if it's reporting or not. Thanks

I reset it again, the temp dropped. Then hit configure. Now in the middle of the night I checked & the temp has dropped. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Definately sorted it's dropped anoth 2 degrees this morning, winter has arrived

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.