[Solved, sort of] Virtual Garage Controller, Transition Time Options

New Hubitat owner here! I set up my garage controller on Hubitat, and it works great. However, the options for transition time are 5 seconds, 30 seconds, and 90 seconds. Why aren't there any other options, like 10 seconds? My garage door takes roughly 8 seconds to open and close.

And what kind of garage door takes 90 seconds to open?

Are you using a virtual garage door driver for a "real" door? If so, I assume you have some kind of DIY setup instead of an all-in-one "smart" garage door opener? Sharing more details on that may be helpful, as the virtual device is generally meant for simulation or testing, but it's possible someone somewhere has used it for actual devices as part of a DIY setup (and some instructions they may have written for that).

It would likely be pretty easy for staff to modify this driver or for the community to write one with other options, but we don't have much control over the former. So, just trying to make sure it makes sense before anyone does the latter. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the Hubitat forum!

I might be making a bad assumption here, but I thought that did more than keeping track of the door transition. I was under the impression it blocks you from reversing the door while transitioning.

Again, I might be wrong, and I haven't actually tested this in a real scenario.

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

I am using a meross garage door opener and linked it to a Virtual Garage Controller device on Hubitat via IFTTT. When the VGC changes, it sends a command to the meross device, and vice versa. The setup works.

My main question is why the transition time (from opening to open, and closing to closed) has so few options.

I'm not sure, but that's sort of how I intend to use it. The rules I set up only send a command if the door is in the open/closed states, and do nothing if it is in the opening/closing states.

Given that the door takes longer to open/close than 5 seconds, I was hoping for a 10-second option, but the next longest option is 30 seconds, which seems too long.

Probably because this driver was meant mostly for simulation or testing, like if you're writing an app or rule that can manipulate garage doors and don't have a real one to test with. Why those particular values, I don't know. :slight_smile: Probably just to give a few different possibilities for testing.

Of course, it has other possible uses, too, as you've discovered. If your "real" device doesn't have a way to report back whether it currently is opening or closing, the reported virtual state is more or less just a guess anyway, so I'd probably pick something close enough and just be aware of the real-world limits. Or maybe you could use another (custom) virtual driver that only reports "open" and "closed" and set that based on the state of what I assume must be a "real" contact sensor you have to report the state of the door back to the hub? Or just pick a short interval here and don't change the state until you know it happened. (Not really sure what the other device in your rule is; assuming this is that.)

I managed to "hack" it. I used the browser's developer tools to edit the HTML on the device page and add a "10 seconds" option. It's a dirty solution that doesn't show when you refresh the page, but it seems to have worked. Though, I wouldn't recommend it.

Here are the logs when I tested it. They are correctly 10 seconds apart.

dev:452021-09-07 02:07:44.999 pm infoGarage is open
dev:452021-09-07 02:07:34.930 pm infoGarage is opening

dev:452021-09-07 02:08:20.541 pm infoGarage is closed
dev:452021-09-07 02:08:10.492 pm infoGarage is closing

With all that being said, I wonder if @mike.maxwell could add a couple more times to this? Maybe 10, 15, and 60 seconds? I think that would cover most everything?

I think that with the demise of MyQ, this is going to be a much more used virtual device now and in the future.

4 Likes

On this note I would love an option for "zero", as the garage app I am using already has it's own transition time, and logic for setting the values.

Good to know on the browser hack, I'll try and do just "1", but would be great to either have more options including no transition time, OR if this device could be on github I'd be happy to side-load my own user virtual device.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.