[SOLVED] Reliable Hardware & Software?

I’m guessing we’re in the same generation.

2 Likes

No idea but from his profile picture @lcw731 and I are probably of the same generation!

2 Likes

That’s what I’m going on too. I got a better tan though :joy:

2 Likes

Still not a bad price. I was having some questionable cable issues myself, coupled with trying to clean the equipment corners up a bit, so I just replaced everything. I bought a couple extra just in case I need them later. I had a mish mash of left over cables from various DSL or DirecTV installations. My hubs are close to my router and switch, so I didn't need anything super long.

Thanks to this community I've started ordering a lot of my cables from Digi key instead of amazon. I think they have better quality than amazon does.

1 Like

monoprice is your friend on cables and other things

1 Like

I've noticed that the Phone App tends to show "in progress" for hours when it comes to software updates. If you suspect it's done, hit the refresh button. More often than not, it is.

1 Like

I used to buy LAN cables by the dozen for my old house. I looked a couple of months ago and prices seemed around $8 for 2 meters. Will look again.

The best reason to use Hubitat -- the community.

10 Likes

I'm sorry that this is the first time I'm seeing this post.
I've also had problems with the "flat" ethernet cable that Hubitat sends out.
As a matter of fact, someone else here told me, that the first thing he does, is to throw out any flat ethernet cables that he gets.
I should also have done that.

A word to the wise: Throw out any flat ethernet cables that you get. First.

4 Likes

Technically flat ethernet cables aren't ethernet cables.
In the phone world equivalent - they are the 'silver satins'. Junk, cheap. junk.
Edit* - I just want to elaborate a bit on my comment as oddly this came up on an Monoclecam forum issue - In the ethernet specs there is a 'wrap per foot' thing ie; the twists of the twisted pairs. As I remember that was to reduce crosstalk. as the cables evolved, the twisted pairs themselves became twisted with other pairs to further cut down on noise susceptibility and crosstalk as the LHenry's of DC voltage going one direction canceled the field going in the other direction. In a flat cable you can't 'twist' the twisted pairs. While the amount of twists in a short cable are undoubtedly negligible, it is still technically not 'twisted pair'.
Again - just vague memories from the 80's. And no doubt I'm about to be schooled further on this!

1 Like

Just to further your ancient recollections....

Remember that CAT x terminations had strict specifications about maintaining those twists right up into the termination point, whatever that might be. So yeah, as we get faster and faster bandwidth I can't imagine this having gotten "less" critical in the spec.

1 Like

This days there are many CAT-7 flat ethernet cables with real twisted pairs inside.

I haven't studied specs on cables in 20 years so I've no idea about the new stuff. It used to be that besides 2 wires being twisted into a pair - the pairs themselves were twisted as well. You could see it in the lumpy cables. But numerous vendors are touting this in Cat 7 and Cat 8 claiming exceptional speeds.
One review I stumbled on was that the cables being tested from China all did not meet the specs - yet lots of folks seemed pleased by the cables - I guess it's just now my personal pref to stay away.
I could not find any listed product at Anixter for a flat 7 cable, not even in patch cord lengths. So. who knows!

Its been a few days since the last post but i want to echo the benefit of using high quality cables.

I use ubiqiti networks router and switches (i have a dream machine Pro that i am super happy with) . I have a cable with 1Gbit PoE coming from a ubiqity switch to my location of the HE hub. I put a POE powered ubiqity switch there and hooked up the HE hub with a patch cable and a Ubuqiti AP right next to it with another patch cable. Works like a charm.

For me it has proven worthwhile to get new patch cables to connect my end devices to switches. I'm very happy with monoprice but i have also found these cable matters patch cables to work really well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2E4QZE

I have a mix of 3ft and 1ft cables in my house. I use 1ft in my patch panel and sometimes to end-devices. 3ft usually work best for end devices.

1 Like

THIS!!!! Some nagging erratic network issues have gone away thanks to swapping out some old cables when changing over to a Ubiquiti POE powered switch. Note: yeah, could also have been the switch as well but your point is still a good one.

Keep in mind (I know this is not your setup) that the instructions specifically mention you should NOT plug the HE hub into a POE port..

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Registration_and_setup#Connect_your_hub

Yep, but it depends on the switch/router. Most newer generation switches/routers specifically sense the load and would not cause a problem. Personally, I wouldn’t take the chance, and instead would use a PoE splitter cable if a PoE port was used. There are quite a few links in this forum to acceptable splitter cables.

1 Like

Just wanted to kind provide a bit of an update. Since I redid the connections with some better quality cables rather than a bunch of left over odds and end cables, things are running much more smoothly. I never have to do much if any work on the systems unless I'm adding something new to to mix. Can I say unequivocally that made the difference? No, because I also did some other things around the same time (firmware updates, implemented a rudimentary cooling system etc.). But I do believe that changing the cables out for uniform, better quality cables has made a difference in the overall improvements.

6 Likes