[SOLVED] After initial success, z-wave network falls apart

Hello HE world.

I have been attempting to migrate my devices from ST to HE for the past week and it has truly been a one step forward, two step back process. I first added my Hue Hub and there have been no problems with the Hue devices. Then after trouble adding any z-wave device to HE for the first few days, I successfully added about 7 devices. For about 12 hours, those devices were running great and responded to commands very quickly. But overnight, the z-wave network seemed to fall apart and I've spend that past 4 days trying to revive it, without any success. By no success, I mean:

1. Lost ability to turn on/off lights/switches
  2. Individual device repair and z-wave repair yields ping fails on every device
  3. Even hard wired dimmers that are with a few feet from the HE hub fail

Despite failures mentioned above, all devices are displayed in lists and there don't appear to be any ghost devices (I've posted images of the devices and z-wave list). After reading many posts here, these are the things that I have tried with no success:

1. Rebooting device many many times
  2. Shutting down ST entirely
  3. Removing and adding devices to HE again
  4. Turning off power to HE for 5 minutes and restarting
  5. Turning off power in entire house for 20 seconds and restarting
  6. Soft reset of HE and restoring from backup (NOTE: this yielded some success as the functionality returned for about an hour. But then the everything fell apart again)

I've been pulling my hair out and any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

This is not helpful, but I've never seen blank RTT and RSSI.
Paging the z-wave jedi @bcopeland

PS- I know a guy who makes great toupees :grimacing:

1 Like

Haha. Thanks for the hair advice.

I guess it is good news that my case is unique. Perhaps that will make it easier to diagnose.

Maybe it is also helpful to note that zigbee devices work perfectly. I added another 2 zigbee plug-in outlets today with no problems.

This just means that the hub has not sent any packets to that device since booting.

1 Like

But because all the repair pings fail, none will be sent, no?

OK, I finally fixed the problem. Despite all devices showing OK status in the Z-Wave Details page, I used the Hubitat Z-Wave Mesh Details App and that showed one device as pending. I moved this device closer to the HE hub and was then able to complete a z-wave repair on the device. And then bingo, all the other devices came back online and started functioning properly.

So despite the fact that the failing device was paired and working originally, HE decided at some point that it was too far from the hub and stopped communicating with it, which brought the entire z-wave network to a stand still.

I hope this helps others save some time in the future.

6 Likes