Solid Blue Light

@tralexan thank you for the update yesterday in the email. I looked at your hub and based on the details provided and our preliminary research, you have successfully completed the factory recovery. Your hub joined your local network but when you click "register" to go out to download the platform, your hub never reaches the cloud to do so. This is likely restricted by your firewall settings or ISP. If you cannot get passed this problem, we could ship you another hub that has the platform pre-loaded so you don't have to go through this frustrating experience.

4 Likes

No, only the platform. The underlying Linux OS is not touched. I did a factory recovery last week (or maybe the week before), and the HE was pingable throughout the process - so there was at least a TCP/IP stack loaded, which I presume indicates the underlying OS.

2 Likes

Neither of the listed ports work.

It isn't anything happening on the desktop PC I've been working from. I got the same behavior from a laptop and an iPad.

What do you need to know?

--rick

I think I'm ready to double down on: The Factory Recover did not (yet) get an image because of a network issue.

I'm certainly not convinced I know what it is, but it's the elephant in the room at the moment.

Can you detail how your Hub is connected and the path it must take to the Internet? Is the hub directly connected to your ISP provided router, for example. Can it be? and so on...

1 Like

Another thing to consider is a possible double NAT that can cause this to happen... is your 192.168.50.x properly routed and not double NATed?

Try logging in to this URL to register the hub. I had similar issue a few months back with a new C4 hub where I couldnโ€™t download the latest firmware:
https://portal.hubitat.com/portal.html

1 Like

The Hub is connected to my Asus RT-AC86U router that is connected to an my Arris Cable Modem. The cable modem is a SBV3202 that has telephone capability but no router. I don't use any Comcast provided equipment. There are two 8 port unmanaged ethernet switches in the system and nothing else. And, as shown in an above screenshot, there is already a functioning Hubitat called "Hillsboro" on the network. The functioning hub is connected to the same 8 port switch as the one I am trying to get working.

Since there is the Asus and nothing else, I would assume I am in good shape there.

Yes, I've been there and selecting "Register Hub" results in an "Unable to Connect" page in the browser.

I have just noticed that although the diagnostic tool is reporting a platform version . . .

platformyes

The user portal isn't . . .

platformno

Both are current screenshots.

--rick

Ok that URL is a bit different than the one in the portal so thatโ€™s why I mentioned it. I had to go specifically to that page to download and setup my new hub.

Yea, that's what I feared.. the /factory/recovery DID delete the platform OS BUT didn't update the UI.. it's cached or equivalent.

So.. you hub isn't registered, can't get to the Internet and get registered, and of course the bigger problem with that is it's unable to get a copy of the Platform OS.

1 Like

Yup - that's the URL I used as well. @tralexan have you tried this URL to register your C5?

1 Like

Since there has been random issues with some, very few it seems, hubs connected to certain switches, could you connect the new hub directly to your Asus RT-AC86U router and then run the Factory Recovery process again to see if it can download the platform this time?

The fact is that none of the ports the platform is supposed to listen to is actually active, and you don't seem to have VLANs, double-NAT or any other issues that would impact your connection to the hub. This combined with the fact that you can connect from the same computer to your other hub rules those issues out anyway.

The above would lead me to say the issue you seem to have is your hub reaching the Internet to download updates. Unless you have something setup on your router to block traffic from new devices or some other setting on there that interferes with your connection, like "parental blocking", it could be good to rule out the switch first. Rebooting the router could also not hurt.

If none of this works I'd take Hubitat up on the offer to replace the hub...

1 Like

I gave this a try this morning with no luck. The process went exactly the same as when connected through the switcher. Thanks very much for suggesting the move. I am beginning to agree that the best thing to do is throw up my hands and ask Hubitat to send the unit they offered.

--rick

Sorry to hear that, did you also reboot your router and make sure you have no special things set in it that could block the update, like Parental Controls?

Yes, I reviewed all firewall settings, exclusions (none set), parental controls (none set), etc. and rebooted the router prior to Factory Recovery.

2 Likes

That sounds like you have no options left to try, sorry to say, but it is probably time to give up and send it in. Maybe you could find the issue somewhere, but is it worth the continued effort?

1 Like

I hate to do this, but I am going to take you up on the offer if it still stands. I want to send you the hub I have been working with so that you can investigate and locate the source of the problem if it is indeed within the hub.

Let me know via email if you will be shipping a hub and, if so, send an address I can use to return the hub in question.

--rick

1 Like

I figured you would, I already processed your replacement earlier this morning. Let me know if you didn't get the email.

2 Likes